Mac Pro 6 Core - What to get on top of it? (SSDs, RAID cards, RAM, etc)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by freshface, Oct 17, 2010.

1. freshface macrumors newbie

freshface

Hi!

I am moving my questions from another thread into my own thread here.

I will now just copy&paste the main discussion in these upcoming posts below:

2. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

Hey guys!

This is my first macrumors post since I am doing my switch from Windows PC to Mac. I have a similar shopping list like Julian so I thought I would share it. I have been discussing it with technical support staff over at OWC and they have been a real help with everything I didn't knew.

1x Mac Pro 6 core 3,3GHz
    3x OWC SSD - Boot partition in RAID0, non-RE version here since there won't be much writes. I have been told that this Mac Pro has a bottleneck around 800 MB/s so having 4 or more SSDs would be a waste.
    2x OWC SSD RE - Scratch partition in RAID0, mainly for Photoshop. I have been told that PS have a bottleneck around 500 MB/s for scratch partition, so again, 3 or more SSDs would be a waste. RE version here because there will be lots of writes obviously.
    2x OWC SSD RE - Project partition in RAID0 - All of the project data I will be working on atm will be stored here, then moved to an offsite backup after finishing. RE version here because there will be lots of writes obviously.
    1x 300GB WD VelociRaptor 10K RPM 16MB SATA-II 3 GB/s - For Windows partition - mainly for gaming, I work from home so it will be my main computer. Stuffed in the last Mac Pro bay (4th out of 4) or in the second optical bay.
    1x 2TB HDD - Junk Data - Stuffed in the last Mac Pro bay (4th out of 4) or in the second optical bay.
    3x ICY DOCK (from OWC here http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IcyDock/MB882SP1S2B/ ) - Will hold the 3xBOOT SSDs in the 3 (out of 4) Mac Pro bays. I believe there can be tons of issues if your boot drives will be hooked to a third party RAID card, so I think it's better to just hook it up in the "official" Mac Pro bays and save the headaches and research.
    1x DX4 (from TransINTL) - Will hold the 2xSCRATCH and 2xPROJECT DATA SSDs
    1x Sonnet Tempo SATA E4i ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonne...gy/TSATAIIE4I/
    ) - This will be hooked the the DX4's 4 SSDs. This was recommended by OWC staff as a really good/affordable solution for DX4, supports RAID0 too. (avoid the mentioned HighPoint cards, it's a crap).

Other than that I will also buy another PCIe card with external 4x eSATA ports, 8TB Qx2 and some more drives in case of crash and as an offsite backup - this part probably doesn't interest you since it's a personal preference.

Here is a nice review of DX4, you can see how it's plugged in, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhqExgv0vx8

If somebody experienced here have some tips, I would welcome it too, thanks and cheers!

3. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

Thank you very much for your replies guys, I really appreciate it!

To give you more background about me:

I am an independent creative, I run tons of apps at the same time, I spent most of my time in Photoshop. Each project takes me around 1-4 months so moving the files from PROJECT DATA PARTITION would occur only a few times per year. I need a snappy system in general and a high performance in Photoshop. In Photoshop, I work with lowres files around 2000x4000px, but with hundreds of really small layers in a single file. My PS history is set to 100 states. My last project file had around 300 layers, but only because my PC was laggish. Not to mention I would like to have more than 1 such files opened at the same time. So if I would have an ideal environment (the one I am trying to create right now), I would go with much more layers. That's the workflow that suits me best personally, I can understand someone can't imagine that, especially the huge number of layers.

The thing is I don't have the Mac Pro yet so I can't do any tests. I've already ordered it 2 weeks ago, should arrive in about 2-4 weeks from now (I am from Europe). I also do 3D in C4D, but that's just a hobby since I am still a total beginner at it.

I work from home and I also play latest games, that's why I need a WINDOWS PARTITION and fast boots to switch between. I also need tons of storage for movies, music, photos, etc -> that's why the external 8TB Qx2 from OWC in RAID5 seamed like a good solution, especially because it's external. That's probably all I could say to help understand what I am trying to achieve with this machine.

Now a bit more technical info:

The OSX boot partition should be around 150-300GB (can't be really sure, it will be my first Mac and the huge WINDOWS games will be on another HDD) - that's why my first thought would be to get more smaller SSDs in RAID0. In terms of price, it seams like it doesn't matter much if it's one big or more with smaller size. Please correct me anytime I say something stupid, I don't have much knowledge/experience in hardware, you guys seam like you know what you are talking about.

Scratch space doesn't have to be big, I "think" 50GB SSD should be more than enough in terms of space.

Same goes for one project folder, 50GB (smallest RE SSD) is more than enough.

I've ordered the Hex MP, 5870, with 3GB of RAM - the question is how much RAM I need right?

Can you recommend some software or methods I should try once the MP arrives? MP arrives with only 3GB of RAM - not sure if that's not a problem for testing. I would love to run some tests to be able to precisely decide what I really need and what not. The shopping list I gave you in my first post was just based on what I've collected from reading some stuff online, definitely not final list. That's why I think I will need to run a few tests that will fit to my workflow.

Since I am not from USA, ordering from OWC or TRANSINTL, a few parts a time can be a little pricey and takes longer, but it shouldn't be a problem either, so if you can suggest what parts to buy first and then do some tests on it, I would love to hear your thoughts. I don't want to overshoot it with power I won't use or be just wasted by some bottlenecks in any part of MP.

I've meant 4x SSD by that. 2x SSD for SCRATCH in RAID0 and 2x SSD for DATA in RAID0.

The 500MB/s max throughput of PS's scratch was told to me by OWC tech staff, they said the guy from macperformanceguide.com tested it. It's not exact number of course, just a rough estimate of what I remember from our online chat few weeks ago.

Again, I was told by OWC that each lane in a PCIe 2.0 slot handles up to 500MB/s. So if it's 4x, then there shouldn't be a problem of running 4 internal SSDs out of it right? Or am I mistaken? Please correct me.

Why do you think the Sonnet E4i wouldn't be good/fast enough for 4x SSD? This card could be plugged in SLOT2 (16x). I was also told that this card doesn't support booting - not an issue since I can have boot SSDs in MP bays.

The external SATA card has only 2 ports (first for Qx2, second for naked HDD dock station for doing backups). I am really sorry I've noted it wrong (I've said it has 4 ports in my previous post). Here it is: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/MXPCIE6GS2/

4. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

I've only ordered the 3GB because I couldn't order 0GB. I of course intent to trash all the Apple RAM and buy a third party modules, probably from OWC (they have 8GB modules for Hex MP) here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...ry#1333-memory

Apple RAM is just overpriced...

I will probably buy 1 or 2 of these 8GB RAM modules at first, then do some tests like you've suggested, thanks for that!

5. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

That's probably all from the other thread...

Now...

Anybody knows how can I precisely determine these based on my Photoshop workflow:

1. How big and fast SSD SCRATCH partition I need?
    2. How much RAM?
    3. Do I really need SSD for PROJECT DATA (around 10GB) - I heard opening and saving PS files is slow even on SSDs, not sure if that's true, so if someone have more insight on this?
    4. What RAID card to buy, preferably with 4 internal SATA (or eSATA?) ports. Still not sure if I will get 2xSSD in RAID0 for SCRATCH and 2xSSD in RAID0 for DATA or 1x. Or just 1xSCRATCH...

In other words, how to find out by doing some tests?

btw how would be the SSDs powered in MP (outside of 4 bays, hooked to an RAID card)? What cables do I need?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

More information will be needed on file sizes, layers,... to be able to help you with the memory capacity and possibly scratch space (SSD).

If you get it tuned right (sufficient memory that you won't have to go to scratch often, it shouldn't need to be that big).

Also, budget is a big one, as it's pointless (perhaps even cruel) to point you to implementations/equipment that you can't get. Hardware RAID can get expensive rather quickly (can start at ~$1000 and go over $3000 with little effort, but it all depends on what you need and can afford). I know, it's not the simple answer you were hoping for, but bear with us. ;)

As per project data, you can get away with mechanical, and it's better suited for parity based arrays if you wish to go that route (but parity is where you must have a proper hardware controller; Disk Utility can't do it at all, and some cards are Fake RAID controllers = nothing more than a SATA card + drivers). Unfortunately, software RAID is not suited to parity based arrays (5/6, even though some claim to be able to do level 5). So you have to be careful with this, assuming you chose this route (read up on the write hole issue, which a description can be found in the RAID Wiki).

Reading up on the RAID Wiki (links too, particularly the levels) may be a good start (help you understand what may be posted, depending on your answers to fill in the holes).

As per a RAID card with SSD's, you'd want to get a 6.0Gb/s unit, which is either the Areca 1880 series, or an ATTO R6xx series. There's not a lot of tested (verified working) SSD's yet, so there's a bit of a risk vs. selecting a drive off of the HDD Compatibility List (if available from the card maker). Of the two makes, the Areca's offer a better value (ARC-1880I should be sufficent from currently available information), as they're cheaper, just as fast, and include internal cables you usually have to buy with other cards.

If you don't want/need to use the DATA portion of the cable in the empty optical bay, then use this with the cage I linked in the other thread. But if you do need the DATA signal as well, look here (How-To, as you'll have to make a cable).

7. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

No need to RAID the boot partition when using SSD's. You're just asking for trouble with a RAID 0 boot. JMO ~~~~~~~ :p

My mantra is keep it simple.

good luck with your new MP!
    JohnG

8. goMac macrumors 603

I know you're a creative type, but that's a lot of stuff. A lot a lot.

If you're working on 2000x4000 images, I'd go with one SSD or two. Honestly, it sounds like your workflow is far more RAM based than it would be drive based. You probably still need a scratch disk, probably still on an SSD, but 5 SSD's sounds like overkill, when you could pour that money into RAM or a second CPU instead.

9. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

check your efficiency in PS
    go to the info window use that little triangle and check scratch size and efficiency

its only for the last action you did ? and not meaning a action that you run but a single thing like resize or run a filter or create a layer so if a action has multiple steps you only see the last one but you can view it as its happening ;)

so this is key

but if your files are under 300 megs or so up to 24 is nice over that say 500 megs and above start looking at 32 gigs or up ?

but the scratch use is impossible to tell ? since some things take more than others ? meaning radial blur is much more intense than say creating a adjustment layer so depending on what you are doing ? the efficiency is going to tell you if it falls below %100 check your scratch numbers if the left is larger than the right do the math to find out how much more memory might be nice to have

also look at your system and check for memory useage their since you have a lot of aps open etc..

50 GB SSD for scratch might be enough but as scratch can keep getting full make sure you have another one selected to take over :)
    again depends on lots of things so you might need 40 or 200 GB of scratch
    building some purge into your actions and such can help free things back up a bit

I would not get SSD for storage at this point ? not worth it
    also keep in mind when you are working if a HDD dies how much time do you loose and whats that worth ? raid 1 on regular old HDD might be the best option ? again thats personal :)

I think I would do something like SSD for boot nice luxury to have put this in the extra optical bay
    slot 1) you wanted a boot camp disc ?
    slot 2 ) 2TB (or 1TB) WD black partition into 2 partitions one larger for your working data use the outside tracks and whatever size for the last that replicates your boot and make a clone
    slot 3) 1 or 2 TB WD black again this time the outer partition say 200 gigs use as your overflow scratch disc for PS and use the inner rest for your data BU
    4) SSD scratch
    and a extra stuff disc ? I would do this external somehow ? with a raid 5 box like the OWC ones ? give yourself some protection for stuff you dont care if you loose so you wont BU ?

but I would start out more simple and not over do the SSD thing at first and do some testing

if I needed more scratch I would then ad a external SATA card and a couple discs off it and go that route ?

10. goMac macrumors 603

Also, your boot disk doesn't need that many drives. You're putting the most drives on it, and it's honestly the smallest bottleneck. You want to throw the SSD's at your documents and your scratch disk.

Honestly, you could go with one SSD for boot, or even just a normal HD. It might speed up your app launches, but that's probably the least critical operation for you, compared to what you do in the apps. The only reason I'd go with a SSD for boot is for speeding up virtual memory.

11. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

Hey guys!

Thank you very much for all your inputs! :) I've took a week to rethink it and go through your helpful posts and I've made this funny graph (see attachment below) showing the latest version of my future setup so you all can have a nice and clear look at it - much better than going through all these posts here. I will update a new picture if I will make some changes based on your feedback. Yup, I can still change that setup, I didn't order anything expect the MP so far.

So...

1) Mac Pro still didn't arrived :apple: :rolleyes:

2) If anybody has any comments on anything from that picture, please share, I would really appreciate any feedback you can have

3) TR8M costs only around $330. I would worry to use it for any RAID, but since I only need JBOD there, it's a perfect and cheap solution. You can't even buy something like this in most Europe so I was like woooow :eek: when I saw it for such price.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sans Digital/TR8M/

4) TR8M will be powered by NewerTech card 6g with Port Multiplier support - costs around $80.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MXPCIE6GRS/

5) DX4 will be powered by Sonnet e4i card - $190

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/TSATAIIE4I/

6) I will order 32GB of RAM from OWC. If I combine it with 50GB of SCRACH SSD, that should be enough.

7) I don't really mind bloating the MP chassis with performance disks (boot+work+scratch) etc, since I can always store general data as JBOD somewhere else - in this case TR8M or more of them or even build a small windows server. One of the reasons why I didn't ordered an iMac - no room for expansion.

8) Backups will be done over to TR8M backup disk's as shown in attached picture. Backups will run every night while I sleep - should be enough time for 500GB to backup (I know TR8M with JBOD and WD Greens is not a performance solution, but should be enough for these tasks right?).

9) I also plan to do weekly backups of WORK DATA partition to an offsite HDD manully via some HDD docking station - not a biggy.

I have a few questions though:

A) Can Sonnet e4i handle it without making a speed bottleneck on those SSDs? Or what is the max throughput speed there in MB/s? I am still quite confused in this part. You guys mentioned some other cards, but they were like $600+ compared to the $190 for e4i ...

B) Can I boot Windows HDD from second optical or does it have to be in one of those 4 MP bays? Just curious.

Attached Files:

12. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

not sure how or why :) you are stuck on a 3 disc boot ?
    one will do it and you wont notice the difference ?

you would be better off using those somewhere else ?

dont know about the Sonnet e4i but not sure I would stick anything of theirs in my box ? highpoint is worse but sonnet seems to have to many issues

spend all that money on SSD and ram and computer then cheap out on a quality card to run the stuff ? take that boot disc money dont buy the two extra drives and put it into a better card !

my thoughts since you ask :)

13. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

Hi Honumaui! Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

My PS files aren't that big in terms of size in MB. So the 32GB RAM should be enough, so that the SCRATCH space won't be even used in most cases. The one 50GB SCRATCH SSD is there just in case.

My WORK DATA files aren't that big either in general, so I wouldn't see any better performance if I would use more than 2 SSDs in RAID0 - imho.

I need the WORK DATA space around 400GB.

I need the BOOT drive to be around 300GB.

So I could of course buy one huge SSD for DATA and one for BOOT, but since the price is same for more SSDs (with the same capacity in total sum), I ask myself why not buy smaller ones and raid0 them? Only drawback I can see is that I need to buy the extra PCIE card and DX4.

I also think the performance for more SSDs in RAID0 as a boot partition is noticeable. Remember, I will switch to Windows quite often, so I need fast boot for OSX and all the apps I use. I don't need that performance in Windows so that's why there is only one Velociraptor HDD. I will use Windows mostly for games, nothing more - that's the only reason for me to still use Windows.

Why you think I won't see any better performance with RAID0 SSDs? All materials I've read clearly says/shows that more = better. Until some point of course. So I think 1 vs 3 RAID0 SSDs can be quite a difference for boot for example.

14. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

I've just ran a quick calculation.

If I would replace this setup:

3x 120GB OWC SSD
    2x 200GB OWC SSD RE
    1x DX4 + shipping to europe
    1x Sonnet e4i card

with this setup:

1x 240GB OWC SSD RE
    1x 400GB OWC SSD

I would save only around $350. Also note I've changed here the BOOT from 360GB to only 240GB because the nearest bigger size of single SSD is 480GB (too much for boot drive imho). So one could say it will cost nearly same. Btw the whole setup (mp, display, hw, hdd, etc) I am building will cost me around $15.000 so the $350 doesn't make much difference.

So you really think I should invest into the better card then? I am not a knowledgeable pro in this so I can't really tell WHY I should pay those $500 more for a better RAID card. Why exactly? :) I would appreciate some insight/help on this :) Thanks!

15. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Why do you need the boot drive so large? 120GB is usually plenty for the OS + applications. Another SSD for the temporary work files, and I wouldn't expect you need 400GB for that either. I would then use a HD for your home directory and archived work, and another internal HD for Time Machine backups. The smallest OWC RE SSD for a scratch is OK for insurance (although with 32GB of RAM I can't imagine ever using it.

It's your money, but all the striped drives runs up the cost as well as the risk (stripe sets are less reliable than single drives, although it might be less of an concern with SSD) with what I imagine to be minimal effect on performance for most tasks.

OS X is usually less than 10GB, and you would really have to have a ton of apps to hit 20GB there. You won't get close to 300GB without Windows & the games.

I would get the cheapest OWC eSATA card so you can run external backups (I am planning on an external TM drive as well as a HD dock for cloning drives for disaster recovery).

The big RAID 0 arrays are usually effective for things that need sustained bandwidth like HD video or multitrack audio production. The only real reason I can see to use stripe sets for data in a case such as yours is to increase the bandwidth for backups, but even that is questionable if you backup frequently (or use Time Machine).

I think you are way past the point of diminishing returns. Just my opinion, though.

16. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

ditto the above about boot size :)

all I was saying is drop the 3 for boot ? keep the other for working

if your boot is that big time to move off the non essentials :)

drop the 3 boot to 1 120 GB boot would save you about $550 ?

17. freshface thread starter macrumors newbie

freshface

You were right, I just had the hungry eyes - you see what Windows does to you after so many years of constant screaming and yelling :eek: :confused: :eek: :)

So... I've went through all of my messy folders and exactly calculated how everything is big, apps, projects, etc. and I finally got to the right solution that should be enough - please see the attachment below.

This new setup will save me around $2400 if I compare it to my first picture, just btw. And even the performance won't be much slower like you've said.

This new setup also eliminates my previous questions and confusions, but I have a new ones :rolleyes:

1) Can I have WIN BOOT disk in second optical or does it have to be in one of four MP bays? Like if it's boot-able 'up there'.

2) I will be doing an offsite backups for WORK DATA disk and I need 2x 250GB 3,5" HDD. I will be basically copying the whole disk to another disk as a whole - not sure how that's called sry. So my question is which HDD can your recommend for doing such backups. My guess is there won't be much random accesses right? And what difference makes the size of cache in this case? Another priority is a durability - it has to last for a very long time, thousands of light years...

3) How does the "hdd to hdd" backup works? I want to transfer the whole hdd "as is" to another one every night. I heard CarbonCopyCloner is a good app - but I can't test it yet, no mac, no fun.

4) Should I have a 3 separate backup disks (inside TR8M, so this has nothing to do with offsite backup question above) for BOOT, for TIMEMACHINE and another one for WORK DATA? Or should I rather buy a single larger hdd for such backup and make 3 partitions out of it? Or buy 1 for BOOT+DATA (2 separate partitions) and 1 for TM? Please advise, I am unsure about this.

Thanks for your replies gentlemen, you were a big help so far!

Cheers! :) fresh

Attached Files:

18. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Internal I would do something like:
    SSD for boot+apps
    SSD for scratch
    2 TB HD for data
    2 TB HD dot Time Machine
    VR Windows drive

The SSD for data will not make a huge difference unless you are constantly saving huge files.

Use an eSATA dock for bare drives for your offsite clones -you will need to rotate with a couple sets.

Don't understand the 5 2 TB drives labeled not important. You have no way to back that up.

Lose the WD green drives - go with WD black or Hitachi

19. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

getting closer :)

I think you are taking some huge swings one way though :)

my only thought and this is from testing 3 SSD on the ICH is a no no :)
    you will throttle yourself :) not much but some and with all this you are going to might as well get the most out of your setup :)

I would still say two 40s for cache scratch over a single 50 ?
    put them off one of the $49 cards from OWC and put them in two of those single sansdigital cases ? that are like $29 at newegg

also since you are down to a single SSD for storage just use a WD 2TB black for storage of main working files instead of the 200 GB working

the setup you have will work also :) I always say get what you like and not what others like but listen to others for ideas :)
    cause its a good setup you have its just getting down to personal options I think :)

the biggest thing is you let go of the 3 disc boot :) heheheh so its all good :) really

20. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

1. yes
    2. WD greens
    3. superduper will easily clone drives.
    4. I'd recommend physically different backups. Do NOT put your back-ups in the same drive enclosure as the source material!!!

JMO, but it appears (to me) like you are overcomplicating this build. You will learn what is needed for your drives MUCH faster once you get the basic machine up and running. Stop mearureabating and start computing. :p

cheers
    JohnG

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

Simultaneous access is when it's a problem (particularly in RAID). This won't be quite so bad IMO. There will be some, but not that much of 3x SSD's at the same time (compared to 3x stripe set).

Ideally, having something on a separate controller is a good idea, such as placing one on a PCIe card (6.0Gb/s SATA/eSATA).

This is an option as well.

The single HDD won't be fast enough, but a stripe set of a pair would be sufficient to keep up with a single SSD in scratch, otherwise it's half the speed or so (~225MB/s for the SSD, and 100 - 109MB/s for a single 2TB mechanical). Double it (4x mechanicals) if there's a 2x SSD stripe set for scratch.

But at this point, you'd definitely be looking at a PCIe card of some sort, and the ATTO H608 would be the card to go for IMO (much better suited to SSD use than the Sonnet card he's been interested in, and there's ports for 8x disks). BTW, it's not a RAID card, so if a stripe set is desired, it would have to be created under Disk Utility (but the drives on the card will be recognized and usable by Disk Utility).

It may even be bootable for OS X (not stated by ATTO one way or the other, but historically, their products do boot EFI once flashed with the correct firmware).

The newertech cards may also be an option if:
    1. Willing to run cables back in through a PCI bracket
    2. Take the drives attached externally

22. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I was talking for working files ? :)

wont matter what the scratch is doing in PS or LR etc.. the storage is not as important and totally separate :)

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

So was I.

It's based on the ability of the working files to keep up with the scratch space, as both are bottlenecks vs. the CPU + RAM (assuming there's sufficient capacity).

We've covered this before, and in the past, you indicated you understood the logic and agreed it made sense. If this is actually not the case (that drastic a difference between the scratch + system processing that output data doesn't need to be that fast), please state that (preferably with some clarification, as I've not gathered that from your other posts :confused:).

24. JulianBoolean macrumors regular

JulianBoolean

Freshface,

Been kinda following along as time allows, and I totally get what you are trying to do. You've gotten some good advice already. Good choice to avoid the 3x Boot. But the one thing that jumps out at me in all the posts and configurations, is no true RAID card. Perhaps going the long way around the block to avoid the expense?

If you had a raid card, that would open up a lot of possibilities for you. You could start thinking about raid 5 HD arrays for your working files, as well as your junk data, which currently has no backup. raid 5 is no substitute for back up, but I suppose better than nothing with a small measure of safety with a disk failure.

Also maybe reconsider SSDs as a place to save your working files. Maybe save those greenbacks and put that in a Raid card fund. Reason being I have a Hex core with 32 Gigs of ram, and can save an 8GB .psb file in 3 minutes. Is it worth all those SSD dollars to cut the time down from practically no time at all? Get up and stretch. look out the window. Flirt with that cute girl in the design dept. You need little breaks through out the day anyways!

Oh, one other thing. Maybe a larger SSD boot. Don't forget about that SWAP thing that happens on the boot drive.

Good Luck!

-Julian

25. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

sorry for the confusion then :)
    yes for some people you are correct in that thought and for people like Julian or myself as two examples of people who work this stuff we have to think about the storage more :)

I was aproaching this strictly for his working situation
    in the other thread he wrote

once the file is open in PS the original drive wont matter ?
    since he was not working on say 100-200 files a day like me ? or super large files like Julian his main storage are not a big deal but his scratch will be cause of all those layers and such

and a single drive should do him fine ? he could get a faster one ? but wont matter as much as memory and scratch for his setup I am thinking

hope that makes sense now why I said that :)