Mac Pro Displays - Dual 27" iMac's vs. Dual 24" LED Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Biggy G., Jun 29, 2010.

1. Biggy G. Guest

Here is my dilemma:

I have an 8-core Nehalem Mac Pro, and a Dual Core 27" iMac in the other room that we're replacing. I'm in need of two new matching monitors for a dual display setup on my Mac Pro, and I'm really not sure what would be the best option. Here are the two possibilities:

1. Sell the 27" iMac, buy two matching 24" LED Cinema Displays.

2. Keep the existing 27" iMac I have and buy ANOTHER Dual Core 27" model to match... basically to use two of the base 27" iMac's as a dual display setup.

Now in my system I have a GTX 285 in one PCI slot, and I still have the stock GT 120 card that I moved down to another slot. I believe I'd have to pick up a DVI to DisplayPort converter box for either of these two setups to work.

Any advice or recommendations to choosing one of these two options would be greatly appreciated! :apple:

2. DIS Ottawa macrumors newbie

Personally, I'd be looking at a third party vendor for dual displays. The 24" ACDs are glossy so you should be aware of that. For about half the price you can get Dell U2410 monitors which are just as good as the ACDs (they use the same or a very similar panel, I believe) and are non-glossy.

LaCie, Eizo and NEC also make excellent monitors.

3. ryanws macrumors newbie

Dual Displays

I had the same dilemma... and solved it with two 30" ACD's (I was an editor). I am, however, selling the two displays. Let me know if you are interested.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OP - i am in a similar situation, kind of.

currently i own a 27" iMac. i am thinking about the future, and possible paths to upgrade. the 27" screen is AMAZING! i would like this machine to last a while personally before i need to upgrade power wise - but i require more screen real estate. i had been considering purchasing another 27" C2D iMac (refurb prices are very cheap! ~$1500!!!).

i personally think it is worth purchasing 2x 27" iMacs - then that ALWAYS leaves room for purchasing a MacPro down the track, combining the monitors together, or what have you. you also get the added bonus of having 2 more computers on your desk for whatever needs you may require.

:)

5. strausd macrumors 68030

For dual 24" ACDs you would need a converter or another GPU with MDP. But like other people have said, you may want to look at other vendors. If you don't need something crazy big, you should look at the new Dell u2311h. They are 23" 1920X1080 monitors that use an IPS panel. They seem to be really great and they are well priced too. Only about $300 each and if you call Dell on the phone you might be able to get a discount.

6. Roman23 macrumors 6502

isight on led cinema display

Is this the same on the new macbooks/macboojk pros and imacs? Is there anything better that can match Apple's isight specs? In fact, what are the max specs for the built in isight on the ACD 24?

7. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

He's got a 27" iMac I think he's aware of the glossy screen ;)

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

iMacs lack video input capability. If you need dual monitors on your Mac Pro, you need to buy actual monitors.

9. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

The 27" iMac has MiniDisplayPort inputs...

But thanks for playing, we have some great runner up prizes for you after the break...:rolleyes:

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha good one. but yea unrucky for you CC, this directly from apple..

11. dubaimac macrumors regular

So to confirm,

Is it possible to run 2, 27 inch imac's side by side with one just as a display?

Is it possible to use one as a display and still access its Hard Drive?

Thanks in advance, I really like this idea.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it just seems like a huge waste of $$ to buy 27" iMacs to use a monitors... go with other brand 30" displays for less $$...

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean have one imac as the main computer then the 2nd as an extended view from the first one? If so, then yes!

yes that one is possible, its just a keyboard shortcut to change from native computer to attached computer. The actual computer will run in the background and you will be able to VNC into it if you so wish :cool:

Maybe. Maybe not. I think it's probably a good idea for me. I already have the i7 iMac, refurb iMacs are AUD1499, good price for an IPS panel and computer :) then in future years (hopefully 5) I will have the ability to grab a mac pro and not need to purchase the screens additionally. Just my logic anyway.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you still want to have this type of setup in 5 years it will be good but will your needs or current tech change by then?... (that's the real question)...

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Assuming that DP/mDP, hdmi or dvi are still available then I think that I'll be safe. I am going into networking, hardly strenuous for the computer. I just need real estate for personal usage and what not, and I believe that I will still be quite happy with 2x27" screens, even if the res are a tad outdated. :(

16. dubaimac macrumors regular

Well this would be pure decadence, but in the absence of a 27" monitor, I could replace my two 24" Apple displays, with two basic 27" imac's I could connect them both up as monitors to my mac pro as I have now with the 2 GT120's, benefit from the storage of both HDD, have the option of running them as separate machines and have the displays I really want. I could also throw in an atlona scaler so the PS3 can play as well. I have two of the ergotron MX arms at the moment which will fit the 27" imac's. Here in Dubai I can sell the displays for 700 USD each, as the retail is over 1000 USD, it would not be a bad upgrade for what I'm getting.

Can you tell me more about how I can use the HDD on each machine while it is in monitor mode?

Thanks in Advance

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you have the ability to turn each iMac on and then "Detect Displays" for each of them to take the input coming from the MP. in doing this, the iMacs stay turned on. you can then get Apple Remote Desktop (or just use Screen Share) to VNC back into the machines - you could put each screen on themselves in full screen mode, and it would be like running exactly on themselves :D

18. UltimaLink macrumors regular

DON'T BUY FROM APPLE WHEN GETTING MONITORS

I was able to get a 23 inch LED display from LG for 200$, while it doesn't have speakers or a webcam on it it's still 700$ LESS than the cinema display. Plus, what if the webcam or speakers break on the cinema displays?

Trust me, think clearly and remember that apple over prices EVERYTHING, don't buy things you can get from other developers for less than half the price.

Also don't get an iMac just for the screen, sorry but that's a really dumb idea. You can get a 27 inch screen from dell that has a webcam and speakers(unsure about speakers)

Hell, just buy an HDTV with LED back lighting and hook it up to your macbook pro, that'll solve everything forever.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you obviously dont have high standards for your monitors/screens - because you would not have suggested a TV as a monitor... seriously?? :confused: :eek:

our decisions are based on our own morals and logic - please dont bash us just because they differ from yours.

20. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

21. afters macrumors member

That post is full of so much fail, I don't know where to begin....

Is your $200 LG a TN panel by chance?

22. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Clearly know what your on about then if a $200 screen satisfies your requirements. TN Panel anyone?

H-IPS all the way :p

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

for shure man!! looks soooo hot :cool:

24. dubaimac macrumors regular

I get it, the MP is running the show, but they are accessing "themselves" on their own screens, this would be completely sweet.

I have just ordered the atlona HDMI upscaler from tigerdirect, so stage 1 is done, I'm going to order the 2 imac's at the weekend, do you think there is any point in going for the high end graphics and i5 as I'm not really ever going to use them, the only consideration is resale value.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats basically it! seems like a pretty easy process hey.

personally i say stay with the low end, that is all id get - but i would have financial limitations. given the oppourtunity of 4670 i would go for it :D