Mac Pro (early 2008) won't turn on when turned off for a long period of time

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by evildede, Aug 5, 2008.

1. evildede macrumors member

I have been having problems with my Mac Pro for the last few days. When I am not encoding or downloading anything for the night, I usually turn it off. Recently though, if I turn it off, and then turn it on the next evening (around 16 hours later) then it will not turn on right away, and by that I mean that the fans turn on, I see the little white light turn on, but I don't hear the startup chime, the lights don't turn on on my logitech keyboard, and my screen stays black, the monitor itself not detecting any signal. It may take up to 20 minutes of pressing the power button and turning it on and off until I hear the startup chime and see the apple on screen, but then it usually resets itself once and then it loads up to mac os. Once the Mac Pro has been turned on once though, I can turn it on and off without any problems it seems. I just don't understand why this would be happening. One thing I thought was that we had an electrical outage a few days ago but all my other computers were fine and I am using a special bar to connect my stuff to make sure that when there is an electrical outage, no damage is done to my computers. The weird part is that the problems started appearing on the next day so I was wondering if that could have affected my computer and how.

If something similar happened to you before or if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

3. evildede thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking, but I was wondering if there was any way to fix it without having to resort to applecare in the first place.

Do I have to send it in the mail if I bought it online or can I take it to the closest apple store?

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

call apple and it should be sent through the mail if ordered online.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...

So you installed something new and now it doesn't work the same? Uh...

Only other idea would be to call Apple Care. If it's a hardware problem, you're still under warranty.

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God