Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who would you vote for the next CEO?

• Tim Cook

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • Satya Nadella

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • Eddie Cue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phil

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Other:

Votes: 49 36.3%
  • Elon Musk* Updated

Votes: 22 16.3%
  • Panos Panay *Updated #2 (Studio creator w/ dial)

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
I really want to get the feel of this: Who would you vote for the next Apple CEO? Who would you think might actually bring Mac PRO back? Or at least improve/continue with it?

This is Satya's "speech."

Here's Tim's "speech."

UPDATE: Phil

Last edited:

Restes

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Definetely not Tim Cook, i can't stand this guy.
All he talks is bla bla bla.
Why does he even answers questions about the Apple Stock price? Is Apple a tech company or a hedgefund?
Shouldn't he be focused on building great and innovative products in the first place?

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
Thanks for the video. Nadella seems more in tune with customers. He has more enthusiasm about earning customers and giving customers what they want vs giving them what they didn't know they wanted. He wants to innovate in line with what he perceives are the needs of the customer. This is what will probably push Microsoft ahead of Apple.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Other! :D
1. None too thin to be useful
2. None with obscene price tags
3. None masquerading as "Pro" that are not
4. etc!

Apple Vote.png

Last edited:

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
They really need to bring back the PRO towers. I rushed out and bought maybe the last 2012 Tower for sale once I saw that new design. The new designs are inspired innovative and engineering marvels, but not what people "need" for the most part. It reminds me of the Chevy Corvette to a point. I have owned 10 new Corvettes since 1972. The design team ALWAYS come up with some futuristic design which make us salivate over the coming new model change, The difference is Chevy NEVER puts any of these super-cool designs into production - they just demonstrate what the could do if it were practical and money were no object. Apple on the other hand just goes ahead and releases these "for-show-only" prototypes as their mainstream now and Apple fans have no real choice.

I used to by a new top of the line Mac every 2-3 years for 25 years, but looks like what I have may be my last.

IMO, a "Pro" machine should offer internal expandable/swappable hard drives, expansion slots and upgradable RAM. I don't care how big it is or if it looks like a trash can. It is a computer, not a piece of furniture. If it can be both, then great, but form over function is not a "pro" goal. Lately it seems like the Apple Pro-philosophy is" How much can we strip out and force on to peripherals and still offer a soldered-in chunk of metal that will cost more and be disposable if a component breaks!

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I want someone with a similar mindset to Steve Jobs', the way he thinks and the way he operates the company.

Tim Cook is bad at his job, while he has done certain things very well, most of what he has done is either really bad or really greedy. And everything got worse and worse as time went instead of better like it should normally.

But ultimately, everyone has a different mindset and thus we won't get Steve Jobs back. However, there are plenty of people who are more concerned with doing good things for money and not making money first, doing good things later.

But I won't name anyone because I don't know anyone well enough to "vote" for.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I want someone with a similar mindset to Steve Jobs', the way he thinks and the way he operates the company.
do you actually think someone with a likeness to steve Jobs is going to be the CEO for apple?
someone like Jobs will be CEO of their own creation.*

steve jobs died.. if he's what made apple apple in your eyes then i'm srry to tell you, your apple has died too.. a while ago.

*see: e.Musk

------
edit- oh wait, nvrmnd.. i see apple has very recently died in your eyes..
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nt-in-new-macbook-pros.2010995/#post-23826813

it wasn't Jobs' passing that did it in for you.. rather, the startup chime
o_O

Last edited:

PowerGala

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016
I don't really care who is CEO, but they really need to have a distinct Macintosh division. I get that phones are the bulk of their business, but they have 120,000 employees. Get some guy in there to keep the Mac Pros, Mac Minis, iMacs, MacBooks, MacBoook Airs and MacBook Pros current. Selling 3 year old work stations at full price and even raising the price is just madness.

Personally, I'd love for them to just bring back the tower and socket in new chips whenever the newest ones are available. I don't care if it's the thinnest thing ever, I just want a desktop.

kennyisalive

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2016
To be honest, they all fall short as none of them have made any significant strides.

And people suggesting Woz are clearly unaware of the fact that Woz would make an incredibly inept CEO. Some of his post-Apple ventures have been atrocious. I love Woz as a person, but as a decision-maker, he'd run Apple to the ground. He's just too good of a person (morally speaking) to be a good business guy.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Me. :D

I would introduce:

- Mac Pro with Tower Design, board for one and two CPU's (or even more), internal M.2 and SATA ports, choice of multiple graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia
- xMac with small Tower Design, board for one i7 CPU and PCI-E for graphic cards, M.2 and SATA
- iMacs with doors behind to easily change SSD's, RAM and graphics cards (standard MXM format)
- MacBook Pro's with Xeon and 32 GB RAM (or more), and MagSafe
- All models support standard M.2 SSD's, no proprietary format
- Beside of Thunderbolt 3, all models still have some USB 3 ports.

Last edited:

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
To be honest, they all fall short as none of them have made any significant strides.
You may not know it but Guy was behind what you now refer to as Apple Mail. Originally, it was known as Emailer and was written by Jud Spencer (bright guy who aced the math portion of the SAT). Emailer was then sold to Claris (Apple's software extension years ago) and eventually became Apple Mail after Claris was closed. Before someone asks, I know because I was a tester for Emailer.

Guy was also the head of ACIUS in the beginning which marketed 4th Dimension a database application. It was offered to Apple who turned it down so as I recall, Guy left Apple, acted as the head of ACI (parent French company) US. I bought 4D at version 1.0.6 and still have the signed thank you card that Guy sent out to customers and I was a 4D developer.

He also has been involved in helping startups so I don't think that saying Guy hasn't made significant strides would be anywhere accurate.

Reactions: pat500000

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
I'm curious what Scott Forstall would do with the company. I always thought his vision was closer to Steve's than Tim's. He may have gotten the blame for taking skuemorphism too far, but something happened when they made the 180 degree flip after his departure. I've noticed that the older OSes (10.5-10.6) were easier for my less technically inclined extended family to use than the current ones.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
He is probably the closest thing to SJ out there today; that I know of, anyway. But passionate and driven people like that start their own companies. They don't get hired as CEO for an existing multinational.

I kinda wish Scott Forstall was still at Apple.
As well as his being his protégé, Scott was probably the closest thing to Steve, as far as being a perfectionist was concerned anyway, but he would imho not get the respect Steve got, needed to run the company effectively.

Fwiw, I agree with your Elon comments, and I'm quite impressed by his latest business endeavours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.