Mac Pro fan loud and constant. Apparently believes core 4 is operating at 260 degree

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by boyorion, Oct 18, 2008.

1. boyorion macrumors newbie

As the header says, the fan in my Mac Pro is now operating at a constant 2700 rpms and, per iStat, believes that Core 4 is at 260 degrees. This is from COLD startup as in overnight. All other cores are operating in the low to mid 70s. So, obviously it's impossible for core 4 to be 260 degrees on startup and highly unlikely it would be that hot, ever. I've done the SMC RST thing both ways (button pushing and unplugging). Nada on that. Any other suggestions before I drag this to the Apple Store? Thanks in advance. Fan loud=highly annoying.

2. alam macrumors regular

alam

well i have the same exact problem, i've took it to my apple retailer and he told me nothing is wrong with my mac pro, well he told one another thing, he told me that i should be putting my mac pro in an opened area (on the top of your desk is suggested and away from closed area from front and the back of the mac pro), before it was in the corner of my desk and back fan was almost covered by the back wood wall of my desk, so i've just pulled my mac pro to the front, away from the back wood wall for maybe 18 inchs and until now my fan noise never happend again, and i hope that it will never happen anymore :rolleyes:

hope that i've helped you solving your problem :D

3. alam macrumors regular

alam

well turns out that apple was wrong about my space issue cuz now my mac pro is away from the desk it self and it's still hot and fan are too noisy :mad:

4. boyorion thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, this is truly not an airflow issue. It has to do with the computer reading the temperature incorrectly on one of the cores. Just need to reset that somehow, I believe but, as I said, using the reset button simply hasn't worked.