Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Front Row is actually installed by default on the new Mac Pros, and I used it yesterday (via Cmd+Esc) but today it won't work. The process isn't even running and a reboot hasn't fixed it. Anyone else having these issues?

timb

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
It only works on the 22nd of every month because the very first powermac was released on March 22nd 1994.

Just kidding, I have no idea. Also, it was March 1994 but probably not the 22nd.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
apunkrockmonk said:
It only works on the 22nd of every month because the very first powermac was released on March 22nd 1994.

Just kidding, I have no idea. Also, it was March 1994 but probably not the 22nd.

This is a fact.
Actually, it is not, I don't have a clue why your Front Row stopped working.

EDIT: wow, funny that I noticed your invisi text™ after I made my post.

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
Sharewaredemon said:
This is a fact.
Actually, it is not, I don't have a clue why your Front Row stopped working.

EDIT: wow, funny that I noticed your invisi text™ after I made my post.

Mmmm InvisiText™

Tasty.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Really though, in a previous topic another mac rumors user said I was incorrect when I speculated that the Mac Pro came with front row included, just without a remote.

Guess I was right after all.

Maybe try reinstalling with pacifist?

I have no idea, best of luck to you. :eek:

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Well this is strange. Did you install any hacks? Are you POSITIVE you used Front Row?

timb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Yes, I am 100% sure because I watched a movie trailer with it.

Put in your Mac Pro software restore CD, double click on the Installer, click Next then "Customize" and look at the available packages, Front Row is one of them. When I get a new Mac I always reinstall (just force of habit) I know I installed it and it *did* work.

timb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Here's a screenshot...

Attachments

• Front Row.jpg
    Front Row.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 972

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
cool.. but no support for an Apple remote, a bumber, however i think there are drivers for 3rd party remotes to allow FrontRow usage

timb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
MacProDude said:
ok, that's very different from installed by default. Thanks for the tip! I doubt I would have looked and found it on my own.

I'm fairly sure it was on the default install as well. (Since when you do a restore if you use "Easy Install" the package is included.)

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Well, we all know that the new Apple Displays will have an IR reciever and a built in iSight, so it's no suprise that Front Row is installed on the Mac Pro. Weird how it stopped working though.

Fedge

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
I'd like to dig this thread up. I too would love to have Front Row working on my mac pro. I also noticed that it get installed when you do a software update. FrontRow.app can be found in /System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app

The application is there. We just need to figure out how to activate it. I'm going to play around with some things, and hopefully other people will be inclined to do so as well. If anyone discovers anything, share it with us!

EDIT: The version number is 1.2.3 The latest version number that appears on apple's site is 1.2.2. Hmm....

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Fedge said:
I'd like to dig this thread up. I too would love to have Front Row working on my mac pro. I also noticed that it get installed when you do a software update. FrontRow.app can be found in /System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app

The application is there. We just need to figure out how to activate it. I'm going to play around with some things, and hopefully other people will be inclined to do so as well. If anyone discovers anything, share it with us!

EDIT: The version number is 1.2.3 The latest version number that appears on apple's site is 1.2.2. Hmm....

Very interesting! Perhaps Apple is releasing some kind of accessory for Mac Pro owners? Or maybe new Cinema Displays with built-in IR receivers.

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
I dont think Mac Pro's will be left out for long
im just wondering what all the extended desktop dual monitor users will do with two isights one for each display
leave one unplugged?
or will it be iChat 3D or stereo whatever?

Fedge

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
Problem Solved

There's finally a fix.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2006110314322775

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Mac Pros, Front Row is installed but refuses to launch. You can see it is installed, as the application file is in /System -> Library -> CoreServices, and it is even an option to install on the Restore DVD. But Command-Escape produces nothing, and double-clicking on the app just creates two entries in the Console log: Bootstrap not privileged and No Remote Present. The first message is not an issue (Front Row is not supposed to be started from a double-click), but the second gives the answer: Front Row does not launch because it checks to see if the Apple IR remote is present. So the solution is to fool the system into thinking there is an IR remote...

It can be done by a simple edit of a plist file. Credit for this goes to the InsanelyMac forum members, who posted the solution in this thread. As usual, do a complete backup before proceding, just in case something should go wrong.

Case 1: You use an Apple mouse (eg the Mighty Mouse provided with your Mac Pro).

In Finder, choose Go > Go to folder and open /System -> Library -> Extensions -> AppleHIDMouse.kext -> Contents. Select Info.plist, do a Get Info (Command-I), and change the owner to you. Open it with Apple's Property List Editor or Plist Edit Pro. Unfold Root -> IOKitPersonalities. Select M19-0a, then click on the New Child button. Change the New item key to HIDRemoteControl, select it (HIDRemoteControl) and change its class from string to boolean (value = true). Do the same with M19-0b and M19-1: new child HIDRemoteControl, boolean = true.

Save the plist file. Open its Get Info window again, and set the owner back to system. Go to /System -> Library. Delete Extensions.kextcache and Extension.mkext (these are cache files that will be rebuilt at boot). Reboot.

Case 2: You use a Logitech mouse with the Logitech Control Center installed.

In Finder, choose Go > Go to folder and open /System -> Library -> Extensions -> IOUSBFamily.kext -> Contents -> PlugIns -> IOUSBHIDDriver.kext -> Contents. Select Info.plist, do a Get Info, and change the owner to you. Open it with Apple's Property List Editor or Plist Edit Pro.

Unfold Root -> IOKitPersonalities. Select Generic Keyboard, then click on New Child button. Change the New item key to HIDRemoteControl, select it (HIDRemoteControl) and change its class from string to boolean (value = true).

Save the plist file. Open its Get Info window again, and set the owner back to system. Go to /System -> Library. Delete Extensions.kextcache and Extension.mkext (these are cache files that will be rebuilt at boot). Reboot.

Case 3: You use another mouse

First, try Case 1 and Case 2. If it still does not work, plug in an Apple mouse on USB (even if you do not use it!) and make the edits. After next boot, unplug your keyboard and mouse, and plug them back. Hit Command-Escape, and enjoy Front Row.

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Olympic Peninsula, WA
Cool.

Does anyone know of/recommend any third-party remotes that could work with Front Row on (currently) non-supported hardware? I wonder if Apple will be making an accessory for older Macs...

bheckman

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
FrontRow on MacPro

Up until about the 7th of July, I had been running Front Row on my Mac Pro seamlessly with the plist edit telling the system that my mouse was my IR remote. However, I would be able to take my keyboard into my living room and through using a DVI to analog converter from apple, It was basically AppleTV but better because I had everything on there. Anyways, I think it stopped working with the 10.4.10 update, and even after attempting to make the same plist edit, I can't get it to run again. Anyone have any advice on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.