Mac Pro: Help me figure out my shipping cost as seller on Ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hellobye, Jun 30, 2009.

1. hellobye macrumors newbie

Question:
    How much do you think i should charge for shipping to write in my ebay post? I have the original box/packaging to put the mac pro + mouse + discs.

I'm not very USPS savvy (never really sent large items before!) I'm about to put my mac pro for sale on ebay.

Help! :D Thanks!

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I would ship it with either UPS Ground or FedEx Ground. Don't go with USPS. They cannot track ground shipments very well (if at all) and they are just... bad.

You don't need to spend extra money on Air shipping. If someone buys something on eBay, it isn't time-sensitive.

You can check the prices of ground shipping on http://www.UPS.com or http://www.FedEx.com

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

There are many tools on the USPS web site. Ebay also has some FAQs to help you.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that when you post your ad on ebay, you will be able to let it calculate shipping based on the buyer's location. I have found these tools to be pretty accurate. And you can pad in some handling fees if you would like without the buyer seeing the breakdown.

4. hellobye thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, Ok I'll check out my options.
    Thanks guys

5. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I think someone mentioned it already, but make sure you price shipping on how far people are from you, because shipping it to someone in your state or the next state over isn't going to cost as much as sending it across the country, also don't forget to factor in insurance, you definitely don't want the MP being lost and being out a couple thousand dollars.

If I can ask, what MP are you selling? Specs?

Good luck with the sale!

-Andrew

6. mwchris macrumors regular

Since you have the original box just get a tape measure and measure it (Height, Width, Depth), be sure to write it down so you don't have to do it again. Assuming you are no longer using the device pack it up and stand on a scale with and without it to get a round about idea of the weight. Then add a few pounds for good measure (see below).

I assume you are a member of paypal, if so the next step is to set up a shipping account with UPS THROUGH PAYPAL. By doing this you can get shipping discounts. Also, you can print the postage, and call then UPS will come pick it up without any extra cost. ALSO, if you sign up early enough before your ship, you may get extra discounts. As others have mentioned it is nice to use UPS because of the tracking, which is always included, and the insurance.

Next make your listing on EBAY, choose to base the shipping on the sellers location and enter the measurements you just made. Be sure you are accurate on your measurements because if you use UPS and the self print labels and you are off, they will bill your paypal account for the differences. Either way it is often cheaper than taking it to a UPS store.

Take your time, and remember you can always revise your listing. IF you need any other help private message me and I will help. If you post an e-bay link on here it will get deleted.

Chris

7. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Should be about 62lbs. I would go with UPS ground as they are slightly cheaper (I prefer FedEx as there is on right next to my work, but that would be the only reason).

I would also insure it regardless of whether the buyer purchased it or not (I would force this on to shipping really) as if it is damaged during shipping, the seller is going to lose.

8. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

...unless you're planning on shipping out of the United States. Every eBay-wise, out of USA buyer will run away, screaming, from UPS...

:-D

Loa