Mac Pro is now near my HDTV; can I sell my mac mini HTPC?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OnlyShawn, Sep 21, 2010.

1. OnlyShawn macrumors member

I just moved to a new place, and with the new setup, my Mac Pro is now virtually next to my HDTV (looks pretty swank, with a 30" cinema about 10' away from a 60" plasma). I used to have a Mac Mini (earlier intel model) hooked up to the HDTV, connected via gigabit ethernet to my Mac Pro, where all of my movies/music/time machine were stored.

Now that I'm set up like this, I was wondering if it would be advantageous to delete the mac mini from the system, and just have the mac pro run both my 30cinema and my 60plasma (it's a 720p vizio). The mac pro is a 2.66 quad-core, with the stock 3gb ram.

Of course, I realize that I'd either need to get a new video card with dual outputs, or a separate video card. I'd prefer to get one with HDMI out, so I can run the one cable, but I'll do DVI+audio if necessary.

Just wanted to get some input from people on what other considerations there would be if I went with this mac-pro-only setup. Honestly, the Mini probably isn't worth that much, so I'm leaning toward just keeping it as a dedicated htpc (if I were doing it all again today, i'd probably just buy the new appletv and be done with it).

The only thing that keeps me from getting the $99 appletv is that there are some tv shows that we watch on websites that, AFAIK, aren't supported by atv...I guess we could watch those few on the 30cinema, but it is nice to have everything available on that big ol' plasma.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

If you use the Apple Remote, I don't think there's an IR port on the MP.

Of course, there isn't one on the new Mini either. :confused:

3. OnlyShawn thread starter macrumors member

nah...two options there. either pair my existing logitech dinovo mini to the mac pro, or get a magic trackpad and use my existing bt keyboard.

4. codymac macrumors 6502

Personally... I'd keep the mini.

Plex/XBMC don't always play nice with multiple screens, focus, and keyboard/mouse and I'd want to have the Pro accessible while the TV was on. Bonus is that the mini acts as a backup/emergency machine, if needed - there's been a couple of occasions when I've used mine for just that purpose.

Plus... sell the mini to buy another graphics card? Seems sort of like a wash.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

There's an IR port on the new mini. My old Harmony works fine with my new mini, just like it did with my old mini.

5. ChuckBlack macrumors member

ChuckBlack

I have my MacPro hooked up to my HDTV and I use my logitech remote to control whatever app I need it to. Problem lies when my kid or my wife want to watch a movie in the living room while I surf. Multiple audio outputs is a headache that I don't want to bother the wife with when I'm not home.

Point being...

Keep the mini, I want one just for that.

6. OnlyShawn thread starter macrumors member

chuck...being that both my wife and I also have macbooks, I'm not *so* sure that that's an issue...but I do like the flexibility, especially when one considers what cody said about the MM basically being swapped for another video card.

Thanks, gents...

7. netsurfz macrumors member

Use your iPhone/iPod Touch to be your remote control through Wi-Fi network. Its very convenient to control your Macs.

With an Apps called "Rowmote" and "Air Mouse".

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. hms84 macrumors regular

Here is my setup,
    Mac Pro with 36-inch SONY TV and a surround sound. I have a DVI to HDMI cable and SPDIF optical cable. The HDMI is hooked to the TV and optical cable to Surround Sound. Works very AWSOME for me. Watch the movies using VLC and use The Audio Option Digital Encoded Option and enjoy the surround (depnding on the quality of the movie).
    YES! Sell it... :D

10. OnlyShawn thread starter macrumors member

hms...I'm sure it WILL work, but i'm not really seeing any advantages to doing it that way (except, of course, simplifying somewhat by getting rid of mac mini). I think I'll stick with the mini for now, and if it dies later I can always push the tv with the mac pro (or maybe by then the appletv will be jailbroken and I'd be able to do everything I was doing with the mac mini).

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

My apologies, I don't know where I read that, but I was completely wrong. The new Mini does indeed have an IR port.