Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul white

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2020
Hi,
My 2012 Mac Pro, running Mojave, hangs if I try to do a restart, which some software installs apparently need. It opens OK, shuts down OK and runs fine, though takes longer than expected to start given that I have an SDD main drive. My 2010 Mac Pro, from which this drive was cloned, also suffered the same issues right after my update to Mojave but I don't really want to do a clean install as that would mean reauthorising countless audio plug-ins. I'm also reluctant to move to Catalina as some of my plug-ins wouldn't work. If I hit Restart I hear the chimes, but then the sequence keeps going round in a loop, never starting and I can't see anything on the screen as I have a newer graphics card that doesn't show the whole Apple start-up sequence. Replacing the main drive with another that has a clean install works so the issue is definitely with what's on the system drive rather than the hardware. Any help would be more than appreciated.

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
As hardware has been ruled out, I would suggest cleaning/rebuilding your caches using Onyx (it's free). Try that and report back.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
That's very kind of you. I'll give that a go.

All the best,

Another you can try is restart into Safe Mode and then restart back to normal mode. Safe Mode deletes system caches and those are recreated when you restart to normal mode.

paul white

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2020
Another you can try is restart into Safe Mode and then restart back to normal mode. Safe Mode deletes system caches and those are recreated when you restart to normal mode.

I tried booting into safe mode but it didn't seem to want to do it. Same with Recovery mode. It just started up as normal. I'll give Onyx a try first. Thanks and have a good week,

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.