MP All Models Mac Pro support for U2 Micron 9300 Pro 15.36TB U.2 NVMe SSD?

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
Ok so a big lesson learned. Im not sure if it's the drive or the PCI card, but the combo does not like to be put to sleep. If the drive goes to sleep, when you go to wake the system it hangs pretty hard.

The solution is to change the setting enable the "prevent the computer from going to sleep when the display is off" setting....and then it seems to wake and operate just fine. You do not seem to need to deselect the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". So if I had to guess, the Highpoint 7120 PCI card is getting turned off and cannot recover gracefully?

I forgot that I had both the "dont sleep" and the "dont spin down" settings on on my cMP (dont even remember the reason why--I think my time machine drive wouldnt spin back up well if I let it sleep) but those settings seem to mess up a lot of hardware. But beware if this is an issue for you wrt to power consumption etc.

The drive seems to run warm. It runs around 131F. Not catastrophe but certainly toastier than I'd like. I found this online:

So it's running within spec.
I talked to you before abut how hot these U.2 drives are, maybe use that Velociraptor 2,5 to 3,5 adaptor/heatsink?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I talked to you before abut how hot these U.2 drives are, maybe use that Velociraptor 2,5 to 3,5 adaptor/heatsink?
thanks. I was thinking a dual mount migHt let me add other drives later and that the bracket I used was exposing the surface on not top and bottom of the drive and that maybe that would actually help cool it (probably a bad assumption).

When I attach he velociraptor heat sink, is just compact enough? I’m looking at the drive and it's temperature is now down to 120, so maybe it was due to high activity in setting the drive up. Regardless, I’ll get adapter and give it a try. Thanks again!

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
thanks. I was thinking a dual mount migHt let me add other drives later and that the bracket I used was exposing the surface on not top and bottom of the drive and that maybe that would actually help cool it (probably a bad assumption).

When I attach he velociraptor heat sink, is just compact enough? I’m looking at the drive and it's temperature is now down to 120, so maybe it was due to high activity in setting the drive up. Regardless, I’ll get adapter and give it a try. Thanks again!
No, it's the size of a 3,5" drive. Won't work for you if you want to install the HDD and two U.2 drives in a Promise J2i.

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2014
No, it's the size of a 3,5" drive. Won't work for you if you want to install the HDD and two U.2 drives in a Promise 2Ji.
I don't need to install more than the Micron and one spinner. The problem now is I cannot seem to find the velociraptor 3.5" to 2.5" enclosure, that leaves the front open, and without the drive. That said, this refurb drive seems to come with the adapter, would it work, or would you know where one can find just the adapter?

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
I don't need to install more than the Micron and one spinner. The problem now is I cannot seem to find the velociraptor 3.5" to 2.5" enclosure, that leaves the front open, and without the drive. That said, this refurb drive seems to come with the adapter, would it work, or would you know where one can find just the adapter?

Sometimes eBay have the Velociraptor heatsink/adapter, but it's a very sought after item and it's usually sold very fast when someone is selling it, I have a search for Velociraptor heatsink below $20 and I don't remember getting the ebay email lately. A Taiwanese or Chinese company made a clone of that heatsink years ago, but I don't remember the name from memory.

I'm almost certain that the Micron U.2 drive is smaller than the original Velociraptor size and will work fine, I had both on hands in the past, but you can always check the specs. It's a really good heatsink, open an eBay search and try to find one, if I remember correctly was sold for less than $15+shipping last time.

You should buy the heatsink of a Velociraptor 300GB and not the bigger versions, don't buy this one 3ME8E4PI1YLWD Western Digital Icepack 2.5" > 3.5" HD SSD Mount Caddy Sled for Apple Mac Pro.

This is the model you want, but the seller is asking a crazy price VPU0DFDH9AIWD IcePack 2.5" to 3.5" Hard Drive Tray Converter Kit w/Heatsink -SSD & 2.5" HDD, maybe this one is the same 4DUC8BYGIXFWestern Digital VelociRaptor 300 GB,Internal,10000 RPM,3.5" (WD3000GLFS) Hard...

rylim

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
Ok, so follow on. Yes, the system can boot off the Micron drive w00t!

Speed is decent considering I did APFS full disk encyrpiton. I get around 2200MB/s writes and 2600MB/s reads with the Black Magic Drive test. For comparison, the 256GB interanal apple SSD posts 1400MB/s writes and 2750MB/s reads.

I wish I could get 4 of these 15TB micron drives, and try and RAID them together and see if it would boot, but thats not in the cards for right now.

System is dead quiet since there are no fans on the HighPoint 7120 card.

Im really happy with this solution. I look forward to seeing if others take this further and RAID the u.2 drives. Seems to me the possibility of having 60TB of RAID'd and possibly bootable drives with no fan on the 7120 makes it a really interesting solution.
What format type your Micron drives are in right now?

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
No, it's the size of a 3,5" drive. Won't work for you if you want to install the HDD and two U.2 drives in a Promise 2Ji.
J2i and not 2Ji. I know, it's easy to get it wrong as I'm always getting it wrong and have to edit my postings. ;) 😇

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2014
So one thing I cannot tell is if this drive has TRIM support. I suspect it does, but how do I tell if a) it does, and b) if it's enabled?

SystemProfiler.app under storage shows the Medium Type: SSD. I could swear it used to have an entry for TRIM yes/no? But looks like they took that out of system profiler as it doesn't even show it for the apple SSD.

Does anyone know how to tell if the drive supports trim and how to tell if its enabled or not? This is obviously under the latest version of Catalina. 10.15.2

Thanks!

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
So one thing I cannot tell is if this drive has TRIM support. I suspect it does, but how do I tell if a) it does, and b) if it's enabled?

SystemProfiler.app under storage shows the Medium Type: SSD. I could swear it used to have an entry for TRIM yes/no? But looks like they took that out of system profiler as it doesn't even show it for the apple SSD.

Does anyone know how to tell if the drive supports trim and how to tell if its enabled or not? This is obviously under the latest version of Catalina. 10.15.2

Thanks!
I believe SoftRAID will inform you about TRIM.

moab1

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2019

Thanks!
Any more updates on how this is working? Did you install the heat sink? Is it getting too hot without it? that is kind of tipping me over the edge on trying this solution otherwise.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Any more updates on how this is working? Did you install the heat sink? Is it getting too hot without it? that is kind of tipping me over the edge on trying this solution otherwise.
It's working GREAT! *knocking wood* The drive is generally at 127F so frankly it's fine. That said I did order the heat sink and got it, I just need to get some thermal pads. If it goes down under 120F that will be nice, but either way, Im not sweating it.

This is, I think, the first time EVER that I've been able to put all my stuff on a single drive. I still have over 6TB free which is really great for scratch space. Super happy with the capacity and speed.

For those that need extreme speed (this does around 2.5-2.8GB/s in APFS Encrypted, and around 3.5GB/sec unencrypted) beyond this drive, there may be other form factors.

But I don't think anything competes with this on the extreme end. One could put 4 of these drives together on the Highpoitn card and have 60TB of SSD storage. Not clear if it will boot in a RAID (my guess is not but who knows until you try), but even if you make one drive your boot drive, and raid the other 3, you're going to have CRAZY speed and capacity.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I posted this in another thread, but a way cheaper solution to getting the Highpoint card, if you want only one drive, was noted in this thread:

All you need is a card like this, cheaper, way easier, no wires etc. required:

Last edited:
Reactions: octoviaa and chfilm

thzim

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
[EDIT] Sorry! I’ve just seen that the question was already answered above, but I do not know how to delete my post … [/EDIT]

Could I use this adaptor to install the Micron 9300 Pro 15.36 tb in an Mac Pro 7,1?

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Ok so I got the heatsink for the old velociraptor. Thanks so much @tsialex.

So the old system would run somewhere between 136-144F when it was being very taxed (like indexing the drive), and mostly run at 136F at boot. It would then cool down to about 125-127F when it's being used normally but not battered.

With the new heatsink the absolute maximum temp I get is 122F when it's really being hit hard indexing. Most of the time it sits at 115F. So around a 10-20F lowering, which is great.

I got .5mm and 1.5mm thermal pads from here:

I cut the 1.5mm thermal pad to basically be the size of the entire drive. The Velociroaptor heat sink has 2 20mm square upward protrusions to help dissipate the heat, so I cut squares out of the 1.5mm pad to let those protrude through. Then I cut two 20x20m squares of the .5mm thermal pads to sit atop those protrusions (and holes out by the screws). That way all the thermal pads sat flush. Screwed it in snug to hopefully get a little compression of the thermal pads and I was done. I didn't use any thermal paste or other things. I'm sure you could drive down the temps even more if you want to get fancy, but we are now at a very comfortable temp range, so that's good enough.

A few shots of what it looks like now.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.29.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.30.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.30.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.31.08 PM.png

chfilm

macrumors 68030
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Ok so I got the heatsink for the old velociraptor. Thanks so much @tsialex.

So the old system would run somewhere between 136-144F when it was being very taxed (like indexing the drive), and mostly run at 136F at boot. It would then cool down to about 125-127F when it's being used normally but not battered.

With the new heatsink the absolute maximum temp I get is 122F when it's really being hit hard indexing. Most of the time it sits at 115F. So around a 10-20F lowering, which is great.

I got .5mm and 1.5mm thermal pads from here:

I cut the 1.5mm thermal pad to basically be the size of the entire drive. The Velociroaptor heat sink has 2 20mm square upward protrusions to help dissipate the heat, so I cut squares out of the 1.5mm pad to let those protrude through. Then I cut two 20x20m squares of the .5mm thermal pads to sit atop those protrusions (and holes out by the screws). That way all the thermal pads sat flush. Screwed it in snug to hopefully get a little compression of the thermal pads and I was done. I didn't use any thermal paste or other things. I'm sure you could drive down the temps even more if you want to get fancy, but we are now at a very comfortable temp range, so that's good enough.

A few shots of what it looks like now.
View attachment 890591View attachment 890592View attachment 890593View attachment 890594
If I would like to use just that Star point Adapter card- how should I cool the drive in that scenario?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2014
If I would like to use just that Star point Adapter card- how should I cool the drive in that scenario?
not sure. You might have enough air there that it’s fine on it’s own. Or just get some nvme air cooled fins for blades and stick them on with thermal pads.

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
Ops, I answered thinking that you want the Startech PEX4SFF8643 model that just has the U2 connector and not the drive on the same PCB. Velociraptor heatsink won't work for this scenario.

You need to cool just the drive, not the adapter.

Best, and really cost-effective, way is to buy a WD Velociraptor 1st generation and use just the heatsink with 1,5 and 0,5mm silicone thermal pads between the drive and the heatsink.

Eventually you can find the 300GB WD Velociraptor for less than $35 on eBay, but takes some searching. I was looking for another Velociraptor heatsink, created email searches and nothing showed for a decent price in months then @ZombiePhysicist asked me how I was cooling the Micron drive and I found one for him at the same day with a killing price - lucky guy.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68030
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Ops, I answered thinking that you want the Startech model that just has the U2 connector, not the drive on the same PCB.

You need to cool just the drive, not the adapter.

Best, and really cost-effective, way is to buy a WD Velociraptor 1st generation and use just the heatsink with 1,5 and 0,5mm silicone thermal pads between the drive and the heatsink.

Eventually you can find the 300GB WD Velociraptor for less than $35 on eBay, but takes some searching. I was looking for another Velociraptor heatsink, created email searches and nothing showed for a decent price in months then @ZombiePhysicist asked me how I was cooling the Micron drive and I found one for him at the same day with a killing price - lucky guy.
Now I’m confused ;)
If I wanted to use the Micron 9300pro with the aforementioned starpoint adapter Card- what’s the best recommendation for cooling the drive?

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
Now I’m confused ;)
If I wanted to use the Micron 9300pro with the aforementioned starpoint adapter Card- what’s the best recommendation for cooling the drive?
I don't recommend that solution for the Micron 9300Pro drive, it's a very hot drive when in heavy use and the drive itself is heavy. The PEX4SFF8639 adapter don't even have a PCIe lock.

- - Post merged: - -

If you have a Promise 2Ji with one empty bay, buy the Velociraptor heatsink, the SFF-8643 to SFF-8639 cable and the Startech PEX4SFF8643. It's the best way to install the drive.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68030
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I don't recommend that solution for the Micron 9300Pro drive, it's a very hot drive when in heavy use and the drive itself is heavy. The PEX4SFF8639 adapter don't even have a PCIe lock.

- - Post merged: - -

If you have a Promise 2Ji with one empty bay, buy the Velociraptor heatsink, the SFF-8643 to SFF-8639 cable and the Startech PEX4SFF8643. It's the best way to install the drive.
I see, hm well I don’t have a promise 2Ji... ok maybe I’ll just stick with the sonnet 4x4 ;)