Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Hi folks.

Ideally I'd like to use both the ACD for day to day audio output, then turn on the external amp while watching movies and playing music, being fed by the optical out.

Is this possible, or will connecting the optical cable stop all sound from coming through the ACD?

Cheers

RL.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
i dont know the for sure answer. But you should be able to chose either of the devices in system pref.
I don't think you'll be able to use both at the same time though.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I know of a guy who's working on a program that lets you pick what program uses what audio outputs, but it's not done yet.

So for now it probably won't work for you to do that.

greenchester

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2006
Yes, you can switch. I have the same setup and the sound control panel in system prefs lets you switch. I use my speakers on the optical out for day to day use for iTunes and all system alert sounds go thru the LED display, again this is set in the sound control panel.

Hope that helps!

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
I have the ACD hooked up to my notebook, and yes its possible. When you go into system prefs, and click Audio, you'll get the option of Display Audio or Internal Audio. If you plug something into the headphone jack, it will get you to choose from Display Audio and audio out.

Edit: Sorry 3 people above responded while I was in the "respond mode" and away from my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.