Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaturnStrobe

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I currently own the unibody white macbook and I'm going to treat myself to some new gear. I have about £2000 to spend and I figured I can get around £400 odd if I sell my current macbook.

Im going to try and use a friends Uni discount as I have graduated now so that will save me 14%. My thoughts at the moment are to get:

27 inch iMac 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 (£1231 Discounted)
&
13 inch Macbook Air Ultimate 1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 256GB (£1246 Discounted) Figured I might as well upgrade the Air for an extra £86

Want the 256GB as my music collection is ~100GB and I want to be able to use torrents, lightroom and Traktor when away from home so iPad is pretty much out of the question.

Any advice or other ideas for set-ups let me know

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
You just doing the standard 1TB hard drive in the iMac? You plan on getting the mouse or the trackpad?

SaturnStrobe

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
You just doing the standard 1TB hard drive in the iMac? You plan on getting the mouse or the trackpad?

Yeh the SSD is an extra £422 which is pretty steep, still contemplating it because everyone bigs it up so much but its a good bit more money.

I would probably get the mouse, why do you ask?

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
the setup you're looking at sounds very nice. if you're wanting the best graphics performance on the iMac, i'd recommend getting the 6970M, (and 3.1Ghz i5), and getting a 128gb air to compensate. unless you feel you need your whole iTunes library on the macbook, in which case the two macs you listed sound perfect for you.
i often find i can pick out my favourite tv shows/films/artists and save a load of space on the SSD, but its completely up to you of course.

good luck with the decision!

luke.mac1

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I've paid the extra for the iMac SSD and I've got to say...it's the best decision I've ever made (in terms of computer parts). It's just soooo fast. Best thing ever!
Then again...if you're prepared to wait 2secs extra for stuff to open then it's a massive saving. I'm just impatient I guess!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.