Mac says I am using 240gb out of 250 when all the app's I download say just 90gb

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jreitere, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jreitere macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have tested this with multiple apps including DaisyDisk. They all say I am using about 220gb out of 250gb.

Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 7.22.25 PM.png

However when I go into the application and add all the numbers together it says I am only using about 100gb or so. I spent so long deleting important things hoping it would get down.

Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 7.24.32 PM.png

Is this my computer's time machine just adding things in it? Or what is it? Beacuse when I try to record things on my computer it get's mad at me and says hardrive is almost full and stops the recording!

Help!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just out of curiosity, have you emptied the trash?

Edit: and rebooted?

3. jreitere thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep! I always do

4. chown33 macrumors 604

The fact that you have 4.2 GB in the "lost+found" suggests some past instances of disk damage or corruption, probably repaired by fsck or the "Repair Disk" button of Disk Utility.app.
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ose-of-the-lostfound-folder-in-linux-and-unix

It's possible you now have some new disk damage or corruption, with the result that the numbers don't add up.

When did you last do a "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility.app? Not a "Verify Permissions", but a "Verify Disk".

If it's been awhile, then do one now. If it lists an errors or problems, copy and paste the entire output and post it here. DO NOT do a "Repair Disk" at this time. Just a "Verify Disk" and post the results.

Exactly which OS version is on the Mac?

Is Time Machine enabled?

If TM is enabled, are local snapshots enabled or disabled?
    If you don't know what those are, google search terms:
    time machine local snapshots

Please identify the exact Mac model, its year, and how old the disk in it is. If the disk is the original, then telling us the Mac model year suffices. If you've replaced or upgraded the disk, please state that and what year the disk was installed.

Precision is not required. Plus or minus 6 months should be fine.

5. jreitere thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't even know the last time I did a verify disk thing.

TM is enabled, and I checked local snapshots are too.

I am on a 13' Retina Display MacBook Pro. I think there is only one model of it. It is extremely new. It is running 10.8.4

I tried to go to the Disk Utility thing and verify, but This computer doesn't have a disk slot or whatever. (Or Is that completely unrelated, I honestly do not know)!

I also used my dad's 13' Mac Book Pro before this which we bought in probably late-2011 Im guessing, if that might have anything to do with the Lost and Found thing. (I took like a backup from that computer to this one when I was switching

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Please explain exactly what you mean by "a disk slot or whatever". If you mean a DVD drive that can accept DVDs or CDs, then that isn't needed to run Disk Utility.

When you launch Disk Utility, there should be a list on the left. The top item is usually your hard disk. In a hierarchical form below that are the partitions on the disk. If you haven't partitioned the disk, then there will normally be exactly one item on the hard disk, and its name will be the name of the disk as it appears in Finder. The default disk name is "Macintosh HD". So assuming you haven't partitioned, and assuming you haven't renamed the disk in Finder, you should see one item identifying the disk as a whole, and a "Macintosh HD" item under it. Please confirm this is what you see. If you see something else, please take a screen shot and post it.

Here's how to take a screen shot and post it.

Please launch Terminal.app (located in /Applications/Utilities). A window will appear. Copy and paste this exact command-line into the window. Press the RETURN key if needed.
    Code:
    df -ahg

The output should be a list of various things, probably between 4 and 6 lines long. Select, copy, and paste the complete output into a post here.

After posting the command's output, you can quit Terminal.app.

Please explain exactly what "took like a backup" means. I can guess, but guessing is a poor way to diagnose problems.

If you did a disk-to-disk clone or copy, please state which program you used to do this. If you did something else, please explain what you did.

It's conceivable that the "lost+found" was copied verbatim from the earlier MacBook Pro. If you still have that computer, maybe run Daisy Disk or whatever on it, and see if it has a 4.2 GB lost+found.

7. jreitere thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I meant DVD Drive. It also has Macintosh HD in the list of the Disk Utility.

Here is what came out of the terminal.

Last login: Tue Aug 6 16:40:15 on ttys000
    Jacobs-MacBook-Pro-2:~ jreiter1$
    Last login: Tue Aug 6 16:41:52 on ttys000
    Jacobs-MacBook-Pro-2:~ jreiter1$ df -ahg
    Filesystem 1G-blocks Used Available Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2 232 221 11 96% 58169541 2899899 95% /
    devfs 0 0 0 100% 626 0 100% /dev
    map -hosts 0 0 0 100% 0 0 100% /net
    map auto_home 0 0 0 100% 0 0 100% /home
    localhost:/bczt5HXse9UeZRcMHc--rx 232 232 0 100% 0 0 100% /Volumes/MobileBackups

Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 2.39.58 PM.png

For what I meant when I said we did a backup:
    We went to the apple store and they said they could transfer all of our information to the new computer. We used our backup hardrive (G Drive Mini) and they did the work for us. Im assuming they just took the backup form the old computer and put it on the new one.

Thanks!

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Based on these lines:
    Code:
    Filesystem                        1G-blocks Used Available Capacity  iused   ifree %iused  Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2                            232  221        11    96% 58169541 2899899   95%   /

your disk only has about 11 GB free.

Copy and paste the following command-line into a Terminal window:
    Code:
    sudo du -Phxcd 1 /

It will prompt with "Password:". Enter your admin password. While typing the password, it WILL NOT echo anything back, so you should expect to see nothing happen until you complete your password and press RETURN.

This command can take several minutes to finish. When it does, there will be a line that says "total".

As before, copy and paste the entire output into a reply post.
    Use CODE tags around the pasted-in output, to make it easier to read.

That assumption may be incorrect. They could have used Migration Assistant (google it). So there's a possibility that "lost+found" wasn't copied from the earlier computer.

Please follow the instructions I posted earlier for doing a "Verify Disk" on "Macintosh HD". You can do this before or after the above command-line.

9. jreitere thread starter macrumors newbie

Code:
    Last login: Thu Aug  8 14:39:30 on ttys000
    Jacobs-MacBook-Pro-2:~ jreiter1$ sudo du -Phxcd 1 /

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
    or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
    typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
    Sorry, try again.
    Password:
    861M	/.DocumentRevisions-V100
    429M	/.DocumentRevisions-V100 (from old Mac)
     18M	/.fseventsd
    4.0K	/.MobileBackups
      0B	/.PKInstallSandboxManager
    1.1G	/.Spotlight-V100
      0B	/.Trashes
      0B	/.vol
     16G	/Applications
    2.7M	/bin
      0B	/cores
    4.5K	/dev
    9.8G	/Developer
    219M	/Documentation
    6.2M	/Extras
    1.8M	/Headers
    1.0K	/home
    9.4G	/Library
    4.0G	/lost+found
    836K	/Makefiles
    1.0K	/net
      0B	/Network
     10M	/Platforms
     11G	/private
    1.5M	/sbin
    4.0G	/System
    168K	/Tools
     50G	/Users
    394M	/usr
    4.0K	/Volumes
    107G	/
    107G	total

Yeah, im not a genius here but it says just 100G used, my initial expectation. Im guessing now the question is what is happening with the other 120GB that it thinks are being used.

Interesting note, when I am using screenflow to record my gameplay for my youtube channel and I record a long game it stops the game and says "Startup disk almost full, etc" So the computer I guess thinks its full. Just so you know.

I just did the Disk Utility thing and here are the results;

Code:
    Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking file systemPerforming live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking extents overflow file.
    Checking catalog file.
    Incorrect block count for file temp28156318
    (It should be 1536 instead of 5565326)
    Incorrect block count for file temp28260186
    (It should be 1920 instead of 1788311)
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking catalog hierarchy.
    Checking extended attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks
    Checking volume information.
    Invalid volume free block count
    (It should be 32696861 instead of 3801656)
    The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Not looking good....

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Make a backup of your data before doing any repair.

The error messages from "Verify Disk" suggest it's unlikely a repair would lead to loss of data, but better safe than sorry.

11. jreitere thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok and then would I follow the instructions that the Disk Utility said at the bottom of the code?

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Yes.

After starting from the Recovery disk, launch Disk Utility. Then do the following:

1. "Verify Disk" - confirm it shows the same thing as the earlier "Verify Disk".
    If not, then write down what it says (you won't be able to copy and paste) and post it here.

2. "Repair Disk" - it should find the errors and repair them.
    If it doesn't completely repair them, write down what it says and post it here.

3. "Verify Disk" - it should show no errors.

Then you can quit Disk Utility and quit the Recovery disk, and it should reboot to your normal Macintosh HD. Once booted, it wouldn't hurt to run "Verify Disk" from the Disk Utility on the Macintosh HD. It should also show no errors. If it shows errors, copy/paste and post it here.

If there are no "Verify Disk" errors, you can run Daisy Disk and see what it tells you.

13. jreitere thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Fixed completely!

Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 8.23.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 8.23.04 PM.png

Amazing! Thank you so much! I went to the apple store twice and they just recommended buying a new computer or giving it to them for 2 -4 days to do a full computer test!

You are amazing!

14. chown33 macrumors 604

You're welcome.

In a way, you're lucky that the damage / corruption wasn't more extensive, and all that happened was you lost free space. That's much preferable to losing files.

More like "experienced". I've dealt with more failed, corrupted, or damaged disks than I want to remember.