Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Yeah, i just read this article. It does seem as if the hacking world will try at taking hits at OS X, but i don't think that it will be as easy as what the article makes it out to be. Unix is known for being one of the best OS's for security, like stated in the article, this is why thousands of Servers for networking the internet use Unix.

However, i am not saying it can't happen, i just think it will be difficult, let alone ridiculous because of Apple's small [6.3% i think] market share.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The threat was highlighted earlier this week after a handful of the company's iPods were shipped with the RavMonE.exe virus, which targeted iPods used with Microsoft Windows-based computers.
What in the world does that have to do with Macs? :confused:

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
The article makes some valid points. Part of the reason security is so good on MACs right now is because of the simple fact that PCs have a much higher market share and therefore there is more info in the hacking community about how to get into these machines. As time goes on and there are more MACs in more households across the globe, I'm sure you will start to see more attacks and more viruses. I do believe though that OSX has a secure foundation behind it and that it will NEVER be as bad as WINDOWS in terms of security.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
This kinda stuff happens when Chinese 3rd party manufacturers run their systems on hacked software.

There is still very little risk of an OS X virus.

Without the administrators permission, there is no way a virus could self replicate.

This does not prevent careless users from downloading a sudo trojan disguised as a popular application or piggy backed onto an application from a P2P server.

You MUST be logged onto your administrative account or key in your administrative password to install ANY application.

The most risky applications are the drag to folder installs.
Once you set up your machine, go to System Preferences/Accounts
and change the setting from auto log-in to password log in.

Then add a Secondary LIMITED Super User Account.

If you are downloading applications from an unknown source, you're asking for it.

The BEST protection is to run all your normal daily tasks from a secondary Super User Account that limits your administrative privileges.

Your administrative account should only be used for installations and maintenance.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Yup, trying to unload some of those new MS Zune MP3 players before the holidays :D

It's already bad enough that Symantec, Intego and McAfee are doing all they can with fear campaigns trying to sell Windows A/V software to Mac Users.

I'm not trying to imply that people should be over confident.

You still need to use a bit of common sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.