Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac Shipments Up in Q3 2020 Amid Worldwide PC Market Growth

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Every recent Mac has had this type of limitation of requiring a very recent Mac OS paired with it to run. Even my late 2015 iMac needed macOS Sierra, you could not run a earlier Mac OS except via VM.

I imagine you will be able to run Mojave or older in a VM environment on a Apple Silicon Mac but it will come with what ever is the latest Mac OS you can be sure of it.

You can certainly work around that running a VM environment so that older documents can be accessed and worked with older applications.
"You can certainly work around that running a VM environment so that older documents can be accessed and worked with older applications." - or I could just keep on using LibreOffice and not have to bother with VMs, and be able to read/edit/create office documents and share them with anyone regardless of what their platform is. Even MSOffice has a Mac version, and MS are working on Linux versions. It only took MS a few decades, but they've woken up to realise cross platform is essential for growth. Apple is still in its shell of denial.

Comment

Fabercon

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2020
"You can certainly work around that running a VM environment so that older documents can be accessed and worked with older applications." - or I could just keep on using LibreOffice and not have to bother with VMs, and be able to read/edit/create office documents and share them with anyone regardless of what their platform is. Even MSOffice has a Mac version, and MS are working on Linux versions. It only took MS a few decades, but they've woken up to realise cross platform is essential for growth. Apple is still in its shell of denial.

Mac has always been a market for MS Office (since 1985) because the artistic professionals only used Mac back in the day. There have been a few versions of MS Office that were not available on the Mac, and the development teams were completely different (with some features coming out on the Mac as test case before Windows versions).

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser
Comment

fishmongerer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Acer is killing it for some reason with 30% increase, my guess is their offering is the cheapest. HP&Dell aren't getting much love although they are the main brand names in PC/laptops.
I wonder if it is the markets. Acer might be in more stores and shops around the world. IDK.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.