Mac still not repaired and seller still owes me money

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jardins de Vin, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I'm not sure what to do – but here's the story.

Last summer - in July - I bought a used Mac Pro 12 core. The Apple Hardware Test displayed an error code, so I sent back the back. The seller changed some parts and I received the Mac again … with the error code. Or another error code, I don't remember. I sent it back again, it came with back a second time with the error code.

The Mac behaves very weirdly, and I'm not sure if it has something to do with that. Apparently, the error code is just a graphic card thing - something users on here told me as well.

The Mac is covered by the seller's warranty, so I shouldn't have spent any money on it. The seller is in a different country (in Europe) than me, so when I sent it back, I payed the postage. He said he would give it back to me later. That's almost a year ago. He did send me a part of the money, but he split everything between him and me, so basically, 50% are missing. I also bought new RAM because he asked me to do so, I only bought 2 or 4 GB I think, just to test it.

Well, I'm unsure what to do? This seller seems to be in a big chaos. And the warranty ends in July. I wrote him again - he didn't understand what I was talking about. After I explained, he didn't respond anymore. Should I just go to court with him? He also removed warranty on all of his products after what happened with me, I guess it cost them a lot of money - but it isn't my fault either if they sell Macs that behave weirdly and have error codes. I had plenty of different error codes with different RAM, different logic board and different graphic cards.

I've been using the Mac now and it works, but, as I explained in other threads, there's always these small weird things…

What would you do in such a case? If this happened to you?

2. McScooby macrumors 6502

Maybe best to check consumer laws in your country / country it was sold in. In the UK if you buy something on ebay from a private seller, it's sold as seen, you pay your money & you take your chance, if from a business listing it should carry the same warranty as buying from a business, sale of goods act applies, I only know this after being burnt myself from a private listing.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hmm yeah, well it came with a 1 year limited warranty, which isn't over yet, and I think in my country as well as in the country I bought it, there's this 2 year limited warranty that is part of the law. I think sellers can limit it to only 1 year or something like this. The question is just where to start now. I have no idea what the next step should be. I tried to talk to the seller many times, but he doesn't seem to get it. But on the other hand I also feel sorry for him when he suddenly opens that letter that invites him to court. :D