Mac Switcher that cant wait. but wants Oct MBP. Can i sell my current MPB for $1800?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sartajc, Jul 8, 2007.

  1. sartajc macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    #1
    I currently have an IBM thinkpad 128 RAM (snores...)

    Im going to college and i just cant wait till october for the supposed new macbook pros cause i need Logic Pro.

    Multi touch sounds so cool that i really want it.

    So my question is: can i sell a $2000 macbook pro i buy this week for about $1600-1800 a week before the Leopard release in October if i keep in it tip top shape?

    That way i can get the thinner macbooks multi touch and who knows what else?

    or is reselling a macbook pro on ebay or on campus at that price hard?
     
  2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

    killerrobot

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #2
    I think you´re shooting the gun on the the "multi touch mac".:confused:

    I personally think if you buy now, you should just hold onto it (it's not going to
    be that much "worse"/or "worse" at all considering they just upgraded to SR),
    but if you don't want to, then you should be able to sell for the price
    your asking for.
     
  3. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #3
    Buy your MBP now, no matter what people say on here there is nothing to really indicate a new MBP in october.
     
  4. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

    Kamera RAWr

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    Location:
    I'm where I need to be
    #4
    Personally, I think after this latest SR upgrade in the MBPs... the next significant upgrade won't happen at least until MacWorld 08. Just my opinion.:eek:
     
  5. Jestered macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #5
    I agree. There won't be an upgrade in October.
     
  6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    There will be one when Penryn comes out which is about October-November, though I don't think the update will be particularly huge, similar to the last couple...
     
  7. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #7
    there is no guarantee of a multi-touch MB or MBP. it makes no sense to wait for this technology since it hasn't even been announced as upcoming.

    a $2000 MBP bought this week might sell on the low end of your range ($1600) in a few months. considering refurbs or overstocks sell for just about that when a new model is released. if something super cool comes out, you'll get even less.

    my advice: buy now and don't expect yourself to upgrade in October. if October rolls around with new MBP, make the decision then.
     
  8. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #8
    The earliest there is going to be an update to the Pros is probably January or February because Penryn mobile isn't out until December iirc. It's not going to be much of an update either. Penryn is just a die shrink of Merom, so you will get a little speed boost and maybe a little bit better battery life. Definitely no multi-touch. The MBP update a month ago was way more significant because it brought 64-bit and LED backlighting.

    Just buy now.
     
  9. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

    yetanotherdave

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    Location:
    Bristol, England
    #9
    No it didn't, the Core 2 Duo was already 64 bit.
     
  10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

    killerrobot

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #10
    Didn't Merom bring 64-bit with the C2D??
     
  11. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #11
    Yeah but the chipset and memory controller were still 32-bit. Santa Rosa is the first 64-bit platform.
     
  12. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #12
    Don't waste time. Buy now and start creating stuff, rather than procrastinating and expecting that "latest-and-greatest-technology" will do the hard work of making melody and art.
     
  13. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #13
    Buy a refurb macbook now, and get a pro in October, it seems as if any mac would be better than the a thinkpad with 128 in ram. Sell the macbook or give it to a family member in October if it doesn't suit your needs. The hit you take won't be as bad (if any hit at all) on a 800-1200 macbook.
     
  14. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #14
    my prediction is no multitouch for at least two years. apple really isn't focused on their computers now...multitouch would require so much work in terms of the OS and hardware.
     
  15. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

    Sbrocket

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2007
    Location:
    /dev/null
    #15
    There is no current reliable information to suggest that Apple is developing laptops with large multi-touch displays. There just isn't. I don't know where you got this idea from, but just because Apple releases one product (iPhone) with very nice multi-touch support doesn't magically mean that it will be incorporated into the entire Mac product line. Especially in such a small time frame.

    Now whether or not you want to wait for Penryn is a different story altogether...but there will always be continuous product line updates. Get the computer when you need it, get a computer with power enough to fit your foreseeable needs, and be happy with it. There will always be some latest-and-greatest update just around the corner, but you'll always be unhappy if you're depending on having the latest update simply for the reason that it is the latest update.
     
  16. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #16
    There it is. I never cared until I became obsessed with Macs.
     
  17. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #17
    I'm waiting for Oct, at least I'll get Leopard, and maybe some sort of
    an upgrade to the MBP.

    Wait as long as you can and then 3 more months!
     

Share This Page