Mac Touch ID - Applicability?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by ZipZap, Nov 10, 2018.

1. ZipZap macrumors 603

Why doesn't the user get to decide when Touch ID should be used in place of a password. For example, when I boot the Mac, I dont want to type my password in...I have a Touch ID for that purpose, yet it does not work.

2. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

Same as on iOS. Sometimes you have to authenticate with passcode or password to reenable Touch ID / Face ID.
    Two advantages:
    1. Added security, because less time for someone trying to spoof your fingerprint or face.
    2. Added safety, because you're not as likely to forget your password or passcode when you still need to enter it on a regular basis.

3. ZipZap thread starter macrumors 603

The frequency and circumstances should be configurable so i can decide on the level of intrusion protection I want.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because Apple designed it in a way that doesn't provide the consumer with much choice.

5. chabig macrumors 603

TouchID data is stored encrypted in a Secure Enclave. Your password gets you into the Secure Enclave. After that, TouchID gets you in to everything else.

6. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

Well, and the folks at Apple decided it should be the way it is. You may write them an angry letter if you will.