Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

condor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Does anyone else think that Apple is going to upgrade their .mac service soon?It seems to me they really have to, especially in the amount of storage they give you. 15 MB for e-mail is nothing anymore, with all the major web based providers offering more than that for free. And 100 MB of web hosting space doesn't seem nearly as impressive as it used to.

What I would like to see is at least 100 MB of e-mail storage and 500 MB web space. Other than that, I am pretty happy with the service overall. I could go for some new Homepage templates and a wish they would make the Homepage section a little more user friendly.

I think the $99 a year price is reasonable for what you get, just give us, at a minimum, what we can get for free from other e-mail providers. I wouldn't be surprised if the Paris Expo was used to announce new updated .mac services.

What do you all think?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
There have been rumors of updates, and I agree: I think Paris Expo 2004 will be the place to roll them out. I'm not a .mac user, because it just doesn't offer me enough, but I might be enticed to use it if they offered quite a bit more.

Lee Tom

condor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
I'm curious about what else you think they should offer to make it worth your $99. What are some features you would like added? I don't mean this as an attack, I am really curious about peoples ideas of what else .mac should offer.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
more space for web email and idisk
scripting on the website (yeah right, not gonna happen)
multiple identities on the webmail

the multiple identities is key for me. I use a netidentity email address. they bought thousands of last names in the mid nineties, so i was able to get firstname@lastname.net. It only costs $25 a year for POP + webmail, and the webmail supports multiple identities.

If you add $25 a year, you get iMap access and 25MB of storage space. So I have my mail program and the webmail synced by default.
If you add another $25 a year, you get a web address of http://firstname.lastname.net

cheaper than .mac, and cooler in my opinion.

Lee Tom

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I would love to see an integrated blog program within Homepage. I'd also like to see some synchronization tweaks. I publish my iCal calendar to the web, which is great when I want to check out my calendar from my work PC. However, I'd like to be able to make changes to it at work - perhaps even sync it with Outlook.

Also, I wish there were a way to select documents or folders that would automatically sync with iDisk each time they are changed. It's kind of a chore to replace files and remember where the newest version is stored.

On that note, iDisk runs painfully slow on my work PC. Better integration with the PC would be great. Because of the syncing and speed issues, I've almost thought it might be easier to purchase a thumbnail drive to take files to and from work, rather than using my iDisk. A tweaked iDisk could really be amazing.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
apple should upgrade. when apple made .mac pay they said they were doing it cause everyone else was doing it. now everyone else is offering a lot more storage, they should follow.

iJon

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I am extremely happy with the service and know what adds on I can buy BUT if they were going to build on the service here is what I would like to see:

1. ability to increase the email only accounts (currently you can only have 5MB of email only.

2. adjust the default email only storage size, make it larger 25MB to start 50 for 30MB more a year.

3. adjust the default iDisk storage to the 200MB. upgrades would start at 300MB for 60 per year.

Like I said, I am happy and I am not looking for radical changes. My feeling is that like the iPod, which keeps getting larger in HD size, our iDsks should too... come on! let us branch out and grow. :)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Here's my idea. It's a tie in with iTMS. Since they don't let you re-download songs that you have purchased they could make this a feature of .Mac, but instead of copying all the songs to the Music folder ont he iDisk, they could just keep the links and allow you to re-download.

I think that the redownload feature should be built into iTunes, but since it isn't you could use this as an extra feature of .Mac. It kind of ties in with the whole synchronize thing they got going with it.

Oh yeah, and more storage. At least 500 MB for everything and you can decide how to use it (email or otherwise).

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
condor said:
I'm curious about what else you think they should offer to make it worth your $99. What are some features you would like added? I don't mean this as an attack, I am really curious about peoples ideas of what else .mac should offer.

How about removing the ridiculous 2MB attachment limit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.