Mac utility apps really needed?

GNice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Mac newbie here...bought my first mac a couple weeks ago...so far I love it. Amway, I stopped by the Apple store to browse the software and noticed a couple of "utility programs"...Disk Genius and TechTool Pro.

Seem like the Windows equivalent of Norton Utilities.

Just curious...do most of of you mac veterans use these tools or don't find them as needed in the mac world. If you do any recommendations/comments on the 2 packages mentioned above.

Any thoughts/input greatly appreciated.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Don't use them and never heard of them, but I've been using OSX for about a month now. My favorites are Witch and InsomniaX so far though.

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
I don't use the more heavy duty apps to keep my HDD in order but I do use the maintenance and cleaning stuff in Onyx. It's a nice interface for all the commands you'd otherwise have to plug into the Terminal.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
As an IT Professional who specializes in Macs, I would say that one or the other is a must.
Personally I use DiskWarrior, but have nothing against TTP.
I'd rather pay for them and never need them, then have something catastrophic happen and not have em.

I don't know anything about DiskGenius.

GNice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Thx for the feedback...it's greatly appreciated. I just stumbled across the website below. Lots of stuff...too bad no user ratings...or I can't find the link.

http://www.freemacware.com

Thx again!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
maybe we can buy when really needed
I find that happens at the most inopportune time.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I feel it should be noted, Onyx and MacJanitor are in NO WAY comparable to DiskWarrior and TechToolPro, simply because they do completely different things.

smurfy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
I just run OnyX whenever I remember to and my April '06 iMac is still running great.