Mac vs Windows: Why it doesn’t matter so much anymore

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by darksithpro, Aug 2, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I use both windows at work mac at home bot have good points and bad points.

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Difference being the windows guy just bought his :p

Macs tend to last longer anyway.

3. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

You might be right if you're comparing a two thousand dollar Mac to a 300 dollar PC, but if you get an equally expensive PC, they can actually last just as long, or even longer due to their ability to be upgraded.

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

They are typically ones you build yourself and it is possible to build a hackintosh. Newer more expensive windows machines are just as restrictive upgrade ability wise, afaik.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Every time I try to give Windows a chance, I revert to Mac out of frustration. It's really just a matter of what you're used to at this point. Both operating systems have made MAJOR progress throughout the years and they're both equally powerful systems.

6. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Depending on cost, the Windows machines tend to be much more powerful graphically.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I own a custom built gaming PC and a 2013 Mac Pro.

guess which one i use for gaming .

;)

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

MAC doesn't do CAD nativatily so PC at work and mac at home

9. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Who would have known you'd be some brainiac engineer. lol... I didn't realize until recently that half the people I talk to here are actually women. It's harder to argue with them cuz sometimes they're super clever, hehe...

10. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I use Parallels on a 2015 13" rMBP
    With W10, W7 and XP
    Parallels does have limitations ie the fan comes on sometimes in W10.
    I certainly wouldn't recommend for heavy CPU software.
    You can clone the Windows OS in seconds so as not to mess up setting if tinkering which is handy, then easy delete the clone.
    I find Office 365 Premium excellent on both Mac and Windows, far better than Pages and numbers, although I still prefer mac Mail and Calendar over Outlook.
    Attached to 24' 4K display, unlocks with apple watch, all good.

Much prefer Mac hardware and OS, but nice to have both OS.

11. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Lets see. Windows 10 now has the adware and spyware built right in for you so you don't even need to collect any of your own. Major PC manufacturers keep pre-installing rootkits on their PCs as a support "service" to you. Major AV companies offer little protection but are essentially preinstalled on all PCs to add their increases attack surface and man-in-the-middle threats.

Whereas, instead, Apple is still the leader in privacy, security, quality, usability, and reliability. Out of the box, Macs have rock-solid security, don't come with crapware installed, don't need AV or any 3rd party security software, are quality hardware, respect and protect your privacy, and last forever before becoming obsolete.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

But cost a lot more. I can get a windows machine for 400 that does what I need have to spend 600 on a mini to do the basics.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Nope tried it on my Mac at home shortcuts all screwed up.

14. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

For once I'm in the same line of thinking as you are!

15. kohlson macrumors 68000

I work for a very large company that lets employees choose between nicely configured 15 MBPs and Lenovo's, which are typically much less expensive. While the Macs cost more up front, they are much less expensive to support. But I agree with the statements made above - depends on what you're using it for.

16. poloponies Suspended

The desktop on my MacBook with a SSD pops up when I flip the lid. More ofter than not my Lenovo notebook goes into an endless update loop when I flip the lid. While it's not fair to simply compare software without mentioning hardware, my MacBook is 4 years old and the Lenovo was purchased last winter.

17. Abiatha Swelter macrumors member

Abiatha Swelter

18. Tech198, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G5