Mac will NOT go to sleep with Monoprice mini displayport/USB to HDMI adapter!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Icaras, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

After discovering this new adapter and reading great feedback here on the forums, I picked this adapter from Monoprice:

[​IMG]

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

However, I am totally surprised that I have not seen one user feedback on how this adapter does not let your Mac go to sleep. I have tried this adapter on two macs at home, a Macbook Pro and an iMac, all latest models, running 10.6.2. Whenever I try putting it to sleep, the Mac wakes up after about 3 seconds.

For anyone else who has this adapter, does this issue happen to you? It's really quite annoying. Its the only thing from making this cable perfect to me. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! :(

2. gsrbob macrumors member

I have noticed this as well. I'm new to mac and I'm trying to get this adapter to wrk smoothly with my tv but i haven't figured it out yet. I get the little black bars on the side and i seem to be missing the menu bar as well. I heard theres software to get the menu bar back? I was wondering if it will take care of the rest too?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you're in mirror mode that will be the case, just because your laptop is 16:10 in terms of screen/resolution ratio whereas the TV is 16:9 (and you're outputting whatever resolution your MacBook/MBP is 1280x800 or 1440x900). If you switch to extended desktop mode you should have a full-screen fill, but your dock/menubar will be on your main screen still.

If you use clamshell mode, you should be able to get everything on the TV and it'll scale properly.

4. gsrbob macrumors member

Thanx a bunch I'll try that out when i get home.

5. GabooN macrumors regular

You should be able to set it up under display settings so that the menu bar is on whichever 'monitor' you prefer though. Just drag the little pic of the menu bar to the desire monitor and it will reset like that.