macampX lite out

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
well to tell you the truth about it
Its kinda crappy compared to itunes, Only good thing is that it doesn't hog CPU apart from that its mediocre

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Being a PB owner I'd rather have absurd memory usage than absurd CPU usage. :) This thing seems to have about half the CPU usage of iTunes, so it's a fair trade.

I wonder where all the efficient OS X MP3 players are. Even the one hyped to be heavily AltiVec-optimized (mpegToaster) uses 8% of the CPU on a 550MHz G4... whereas Xmms on my 550MHz K6-2 PC used less than half of 1% of the CPU (no joke). Talk about a disappointment when I then opened up top and iTunes read 26%. Ouch! Is this a compiler problem, or a programming problem, or a system architecture problem, or a plain developers-just-don't-care problem?

Alex

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by alex_ant
Being a PB owner I'd rather have absurd memory usage than absurd CPU usage. :) This thing seems to have about half the CPU usage of iTunes, so it's a fair trade.

I wonder where all the efficient OS X MP3 players are. Even the one hyped to be heavily AltiVec-optimized (mpegToaster) uses 8% of the CPU on a 550MHz G4... whereas Xmms on my 550MHz K6-2 PC used less than half of 1% of the CPU (no joke). Talk about a disappointment when I then opened up top and iTunes read 26%. Ouch! Is this a compiler problem, or a programming problem, or a system architecture problem, or a plain developers-just-don't-care problem?

Alex
Ok, I'm stupid. How do you see how much of the CPU is being used?:confused: I know how to see ram, but not Processor usage.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by me hate windows

Ok, I'm stupid. How do you see how much of the CPU is being used?:confused: I know how to see ram, but not Processor usage.
Just open up a terminal and type "top -u" at the command line. The "-u" sorts the entries from highest to lowest CPU usage.

Alex

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002

Just open up a terminal and type "top -u" at the command line. The "-u" sorts the entries from highest to lowest CPU usage.

Alex
Are you talking about OS X? I am using OS 9(at work)(where I am right now)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Oh, yes, I'm talking about OS X... I figured that OS X is where you'd likely be running macampX. :) I'm not sure how to see per-process CPU usage in OS 9, or if it's even possible due to the way OS 9 is designed.

Alex

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock

Alex
ive never looked at that. pretty interesting. i tried it and with Mail, adium, mozilla, photoshop, and iTunes open. iTunes was the only apps using more than 2% and it was using 12%. that is pretty odd. without iTunes open top seems to be the biggest CPU user. photoshop will use up to 82% while doing something big but never goes over 15% when doing little things, and is usally under 1%. This was all on my iMac, on my g3 powerbook, iTunes uses like 20% (333mhz, 66mhz bus) top uses ~14% and nothing else uses more than 5%. in fact must tasks are below 1% on both iMac and powerbook.

this would make me think the problem is ONLY with iTunes as nothing else seems to use that much CPU. but i really am worried more about RAM than CPU usage on either my iMac or powerbook. both of em only have 512mb RAM and OSX eats that up easily after a few days uptime, making a restart necessary. i seem to get 3-4 hours on my powerbook no matter how heavily i use it so im not too worried about iTunes sucking up all the battery power.

something as ugly as Winamp shouldnt use that much RAM. i mean i thought web browsers were memory hogs, but this is ridiculous.