macampX lite out


mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
3,100
0
well to tell you the truth about it
Its kinda crappy compared to itunes, Only good thing is that it doesn't hog CPU apart from that its mediocre
 

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
2,473
0
All up in your bidness
Being a PB owner I'd rather have absurd memory usage than absurd CPU usage. :) This thing seems to have about half the CPU usage of iTunes, so it's a fair trade.

I wonder where all the efficient OS X MP3 players are. Even the one hyped to be heavily AltiVec-optimized (mpegToaster) uses 8% of the CPU on a 550MHz G4... whereas Xmms on my 550MHz K6-2 PC used less than half of 1% of the CPU (no joke). Talk about a disappointment when I then opened up top and iTunes read 26%. Ouch! Is this a compiler problem, or a programming problem, or a system architecture problem, or a plain developers-just-don't-care problem?

Alex
 

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
420
0
Originally posted by alex_ant
Being a PB owner I'd rather have absurd memory usage than absurd CPU usage. :) This thing seems to have about half the CPU usage of iTunes, so it's a fair trade.

I wonder where all the efficient OS X MP3 players are. Even the one hyped to be heavily AltiVec-optimized (mpegToaster) uses 8% of the CPU on a 550MHz G4... whereas Xmms on my 550MHz K6-2 PC used less than half of 1% of the CPU (no joke). Talk about a disappointment when I then opened up top and iTunes read 26%. Ouch! Is this a compiler problem, or a programming problem, or a system architecture problem, or a plain developers-just-don't-care problem?

Alex
Ok, I'm stupid. How do you see how much of the CPU is being used?:confused: I know how to see ram, but not Processor usage.
 

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
2,473
0
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by me hate windows

Ok, I'm stupid. How do you see how much of the CPU is being used?:confused: I know how to see ram, but not Processor usage.
Just open up a terminal and type "top -u" at the command line. The "-u" sorts the entries from highest to lowest CPU usage.

Alex
 

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
420
0
Originally posted by alex_ant

Just open up a terminal and type "top -u" at the command line. The "-u" sorts the entries from highest to lowest CPU usage.

Alex
Are you talking about OS X? I am using OS 9(at work)(where I am right now)
 

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
2,473
0
All up in your bidness
Oh, yes, I'm talking about OS X... I figured that OS X is where you'd likely be running macampX. :) I'm not sure how to see per-process CPU usage in OS 9, or if it's even possible due to the way OS 9 is designed.

Alex
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by alex_ant

Just open up a terminal and type "top -u" at the command line. The "-u" sorts the entries from highest to lowest CPU usage.

Alex
ive never looked at that. pretty interesting. i tried it and with Mail, adium, mozilla, photoshop, and iTunes open. iTunes was the only apps using more than 2% and it was using 12%. that is pretty odd. without iTunes open top seems to be the biggest CPU user. photoshop will use up to 82% while doing something big but never goes over 15% when doing little things, and is usally under 1%. This was all on my iMac, on my g3 powerbook, iTunes uses like 20% (333mhz, 66mhz bus) top uses ~14% and nothing else uses more than 5%. in fact must tasks are below 1% on both iMac and powerbook.

this would make me think the problem is ONLY with iTunes as nothing else seems to use that much CPU. but i really am worried more about RAM than CPU usage on either my iMac or powerbook. both of em only have 512mb RAM and OSX eats that up easily after a few days uptime, making a restart necessary. i seem to get 3-4 hours on my powerbook no matter how heavily i use it so im not too worried about iTunes sucking up all the battery power.

something as ugly as Winamp shouldnt use that much RAM. i mean i thought web browsers were memory hogs, but this is ridiculous.