Macbook 12 for a person w/ new 15" Touch bar, iPad Pro 10, and a 2013 13" MB Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HaddockW, Aug 19, 2017.

1. HaddockW macrumors member

I have a burning desire to get a 12". Don't know why. I am on an upgrade path.

I just got a MacBook Pro 15" Touchbar, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD.

I also got a 10.5" iPad Pro which is my daily driver.

I'm upgrading all my stuff - docks, hubs,etc

I am looking for a backup , always on stationary machine.

I have a 2013 i5 13" MacBook Pro, w/ 1280x800. It serves as my Plex Server and machine I VPN in. It is connected to a 27" Dell 1440p screen in my workshop.

I upgraded it to 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD in the main drive and I swapped out the CD-ROM w/ a 1TB HDD 7200 rpm drive for stuff.It is connected to several TB1 RAIDs including a Drobo. It is docked in a Thunderbolt and is always there.

It also runs my home security recording software in a VM.

If I need to use it for more stuff. I simply un-dock and connect my new 15" using

The TB3-TB2 dongle. I then have access to everything and an additional 4K LG.

When I'm finish, I un-dock and plug back the 13 to do the family activity.

Since the 13" is now old, I am thinking about upgrading. I've never really use it but for household stationary duty. I can just undock it and stick in in my garage as it has all the ports - Ethernet, Thunderbolt, and even FireWire.

Or should I get an Intel NUC w/ Thunderbolt 3 and try to hackintosh it.

Is the 12" m3/m5 CPU an comparable to the 2013 i5. The 13" Can't power more than one DisplayPort monitor and it can't drive 4K which I also have. I can ditch the Thunderbolt dock and use a USB-C dock that works with the 12" and my 15"

Or maybe I am better off with an AIr that does have Thunderbolt 2 and supports 4K.

Or just stick to what I have.

2. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

To me it doesn't make sense if u use it only for plex and security cams stationary.
    If u don't have slowdowns with the 13" than why do u think it's old and has to be replaced for these few basic tasks?

I sold my iPad after getting the MB cos I didn't use it anymore...