Macbook 13 inch 10.5.8 lion recovery mode new ssd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by samanga, Jan 30, 2012.

1. samanga macrumors newbie

I have a macbook 13 inch OSX version 10.5.8. I also have a macbook pro running Lion. I want to make the macbook 13 inch faster and replace the hardrive with a SSD. According to this link from apple, http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/ it says that....

"If your Mac problem is a little less common — your hard drive has failed or you’ve installed a hard drive without OS X, for example — Internet Recovery takes over automatically. It downloads and starts Lion Recovery directly from Apple servers over a broadband Internet connection."

Now my question is that if i run the new ssd drive on the macbook pro, and set up lion, will it run on the macbook 13 inch? I know that i can buy snow leopard and then go buy lion, but that seems like a big hassle :( . Does anyone know if this would work? If so, please say so! :D

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

As long as your Macbook is a 64-bit Core 2 Duo machine, rather than a 32-bit Core Duo, you should be OK. Max out the RAM too.

3. samanga thread starter macrumors newbie

@cal6n Thanks for the advice! But one question. I have read that 8gb works on the macbook 13inch, but then some say it doesn't work. So then some said go with 6gb, but others said to have unbalanced amounts of memory will cause problems also... so what would be the best? any advice on that? :confused:

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Depends on the model. Roughly speaking, the late 2006 to mid 2007 Macbooks will take 4GB but only address 3GB; the late 2007 and later non-unibody models will take 6GB and the unibodies, aluminium and polycarbonate will accept 8GB.

Source

Unpaired RAM will not cause any problems, but paired RAM will give a minor performance boost. My understanding is that it is more beneficial to have as much RAM as you can fit, rather than sticking with only what you can fit as paired. This is especially true with Lion. It loves RAM.

Make sure the RAM you buy is compatible and from a reputable source. I've been advised in the past that RAM that has been designed for AMD PCs can cause problems in Intel machines, with some sellers on eBay specifically stating that their RAM is only for AMD notebooks.