Macbook 13 retina for LR, Photoshop and Diablo 3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maccotto, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Maccotto, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

Maccotto macrumors regular

Hi guys .
    My vaio started to have battery problem (short life, somebody disappears ecc...) and i will leave it at september.
    I want buy a dell xps but they have similar prices to MBP.

So for me can be very good Macbook 15" but i want a small notebook because my vaio is 16,4" and i have some problem to move it everyday.

COnclusion: How is macbook retina 13" ?

I will do this primary things:
    1. Photoshop 2014 and Lightroom app
    2. Diablo3 or similar sometimes (in my vaio i don't play since 2012 XD)
    3. Karaoke, Itunes and web

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 13" rMBP is a fine machine that can handle LR and PS. As for Diablo 3, I'd probably say no. I'm no gamer but the 13" rMBP has a iGPU and its no the better Iris Pro. I think playing performance will suffer because of that.

As for the form factor, be sure the smaller laptop will fit your needs, while it will be easier to carry around, you lose a decent amount of screen real estate.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Lightroom, Photoshop, Office and Web is perfectly fine. You can also mutltitask those.

Diablo, I don't know.

4. willentrekin macrumors member

Maybe check the refurb store. I got a first-gen 15" rMBP with dedicated nVidia graphics, and it runs Skyrim in full res in a Windows VM. Not sure how much more power Diablo requires (if any), but I think it should handle it reasonably.

5. techn9ne macrumors member

I play D3 on my 2011 MBP and it plays fine. Gets a bit hot and I can't play it on "high" graphics but I don't mind. The only thing that's a pain in the butt is the whole issue of the game DC-ing on Mac machines in fullscreen mode. I play in a windowed mode now to fix it, but playing on 15" is a bit small. Can't imagine playing on 13".

6. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Get as much RAM as you can afford. 8gb minimum, 16gb better.

7. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think that 13" is too small for games ?

8. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

9. bmwx12 macrumors newbie

You can always add an external monitor later if need be. Although, the 15" comes with a dedicated GPU, which would probably be a huge help to run games. Otherwise the 13" would be great for LR and PS.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My girlfriend has one of the first generation 13" rMBP's (maybe 2nd gen?) and she plays D3 on it without issue on lower quality. The bigger issue (IMO) is the anemic SSD space, as D3 + WoW + some photos will eat up a 128gb HDD easily.