Macbook 2008 Can't burn dvds what are my options and how much ram can I upgrade to

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lilchub101, Jun 11, 2009.

1. lilchub101 macrumors member

Hey all I have a 2008 macbook that is under applecare until 2012 It did not come with a dvd burner I would have bought one with a dvd burner but I did not by this my school did and gave it to me :) so my question is what is the best way for me to get dvd burning support on here is it a usb exturnel thing or what? I would also like to burn DVD-DL dual layer because I am a video student and what to be able to burn big dvds

My other question is how much ram can I upgrade to? crucial.com said i need DDR2 PC2-5300 and that I can hold 4gb but I have seen some posts that say allot of the macs can hold more then apple says is this true? if so how much can I upgrade to and where should I buy it

ps this is my mac Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Apple doesnt support more than 4 but people do it.

EDIT: Just saw you have the Plastic one.. I think that one IS capped at 4gb... Not sure tho.. Someone here will

You could get an external or internal dvd drive I believe. Whatever you prefer..
    You have a CD-ROM drive already right?

3. lilchub101 thread starter macrumors member

yeah I can burn cds and read dvds I would like it to still be uner applecare so I guess I need to fine an external drive or enclosure maybe some one has a preference or a good site thanks all

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea that would be your best bet then I guess...
    Unless Apple installs it then your Apple Care should stay in tact but Im sure the external would be cheaper.

5. lilchub101 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry I did not see that the $60 one could do DL thank you