MacBook (2016 model) freezes after wakeup w/10.13.4

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Mac32, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Mac32 Suspended

Hi,

After I upgraded my MacBook (2016 model) with 10.13.4, the machine freezes nearly every time it wakes up from sleep. These freezes last typically around 15-20 seconds. I also tried using the combo update, but no improvement. When I lift up the screen, there is a short image flashing of pure grey static, so something's wrong.

Anyone? Thanks.

2. Nbd1790 macrumors newbie

Sounds like there might be an issue with your Graphics Card. I've had mine freeze on me a few times (running the same version of the OS) but never any static or anything of that nature.

I would definitely make a genius appointment to get it sorted out. Seems like GPU and keyboard issues are quite common with the 2016 models.

3. Mac32 thread starter Suspended

I'm sure it's software related, it happened right after the update. I was hoping there's a way to fix this, without having to reinstall the entire OSX again. 10.13.4 has several bugs for me, with both my MacBook and iMac Pro. Apple's QC is really lacking nowadays. :/

4. Nbd1790 macrumors newbie

Couldn't agree more. Apples QC (at least when it comes to the newer MacBooks) has been a little disappointing.

Regardless, make a Genius appointment and get it checked out for hardware issues. Would be a waste of time to restore the computer, and then have a repair done just to reinstall all of your content again.

Good luck!

5. lemonkid macrumors member

Try to keep your computer awake and don't use it for a night or so. It is possible that the SSD wants to 'collect trash'. Especially after an update a lot of software that was on the HD is not used anymore and this needs to be 'trashed' even though it seems to have been trashed already. SSD drives work different. They need to collect this trash and completely delete the information that is still stored but only not visible anymore.

It can also be done 'on the fly', but that makes a drive much slower. That's why the computer tries to do it in times the computer is not used. And I think that there is a mismatch at the moment you wake it up between the way your computer 'collects trash' and the system wake-up works. These seem then to compete with each other to make each proces work.

When you don't use the computer and when it is not sleeping, your system can collect trash. If my solution works ( I am sure for 97%) you should still inform apple. Because it should not work this way. But you should be aware of these processes and keep your MacBook awake regularly when you don't use it. Or when it seems to have been frozen.

6. Painter2002 macrumors newbie

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13" w/Touchbar that I just bought (from Apple), and I have a similar issue where when I wake up my computer from a long sleep, it displays a grey "static", but only for about 1 second. I don't have any externals plugged in, and I am using the most current MacOS 10.13.4. I currently have a case open with Apple, and engineering is supposed to get back with me soon with more information on whether this is a software or hardware issue.