MacBook 3rd isn't smooth in exposé, why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenjaminK, Jan 5, 2008.

1. BenjaminK macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

This is my first post and my english is a little bit rusty.

I've just bought a MacBook 3rd gen and upgraded it to 4gb ram (the white one). I was very happy with it until i compared it with a 2nd gen white MacBook with only 1gb ram. It did exposé, spaces and other basic animations much more smoothly.

Anyone having the same problem and/or know an explanation of that behaviour?

BenjaminK

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I'd guess it's because the drivers for the GMA X3100 are crap. The GMA 950 is slower, but the drivers are better. Hopefully Apple will fix this eventually.

--Eric

3. Josheua macrumors regular

I've seen a similar issue with the macbook pro which sports a 8600 GT. I have to agree with the statement above that this slow down is related to the drivers. I would imagine some of this may be fixed in 10.5.2 which has a huge list of bug fixes on the way as well as with other updates that may show up at macworld.

-Josh :apple:

4. BenjaminK thread starter macrumors newbie

Fantastic

If that's the problem I hope they fix it soon!

I would like to hear from someone with a 3rd gen MacBook who has got the same problem, or no problems at all?

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've got a 3rd gen Macbook, and I've never experienced a problem in Expose. I'm using Tiger. Are you?

6. BenjaminK thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using Leopard. It shipped with Leopard.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Then that's probably the problem. It can't be anything driver or card related, because the 3rd gen comes with the GMA950, just like the 2nd and 1st gens. However, graphics performance is better on Tiger than on Leopard on matched hardware (the way XP handily beats Vista on matched hardware).

8. BenjaminK thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmmm

My MacBook is with the X3100. I thought the newest MB was 3rd gen?

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The newest is the 4th gen. http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook If you've got the x3100, then you've got that one. In that case, yeah, it could be a combination of Leopard and driver issues (and the only solution might be to hope for Apple to fix it in future patches). You could also try a clean install, but if it's an inherent card/OS issue, that won't help.

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I don't know about you but my expose works just fine no problems with lagging of any such problems at all really.

11. BenjaminK thread starter macrumors newbie

okay

Have you tried comparing it with another mac with Tiger/Leopard?

12. nadirturkman macrumors newbie

gma x3100 exposé problems

Hi.

I got my macbook in january. It's the latest release with the gma x3100. i had a little bit of experience with older macbooks using the gma 950 and with tiger running. They were extremly smooth, then i saw the same mac books with the 950 gma working on Leopard and it looked great so i expected the new ones with the x3100 would be the same.

Well not really, mine isn't that great! Exposé and dock are usualy slugish and gets even worst when running toast for example. But it doesn't only end there. PDF's and Word documents with images lag alot when i scroll down. Oh yes and when viewing videos from the apple website guess what.. scrolling down is a big no no as well.

I'm a bit disappointed, but i wonder why this isn't happening with all macbooks. I thought it was the motherboard with the intel graphics chip. But i sent it to apple and they replaced it. Still same problem. Hope 10.5.2 drivers solve the problem.

Tell me about your problems.. are they the same?

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have the same MacBook (2.2GHz, X3100, 10.5.1) and haven't really noticed much that's not "smooth" but I also have read that the X3100 drivers are not as well developed as the GMA950. Rumors are that this is improved in 10.5.2.

14. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I have a brand new MBP (2.2, 4GB RAM), and it's only 95-100% smooth for dashboard/exposé etc. when it's fresh from a restart/shutdown.

Whenever anything else is happening or HAS been happening, there's a tiny bit of slow-down/jumping in the animations, but nothing much to really worry about. I've never seen any UI animations in OS X on any machine that are 100% smooth, all the time, but I guess others will have?

15. nadirturkman macrumors newbie

I've noticed that they're never 100% smooth, i compared with a friends MP 2.0Ghz with the GMA 950 and the difference is huge. Hard to explain, but i'm sure if someone has the same problem they will notice.

I'm really interested in figuring out what's the problem.

16. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I have created a couple of threads about the laggy graphics in Leopard with the X3100. I'm guessing with the horrible support with OpenGL that is why we are experiencing horrific laggy graphics. As stated these problems will be resolved in the next patch(s).