Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get my macbook back to working order for school in the fall so I wanted to upgrade the 4GB of ram to 8GB of ram into it so that I can run anything I might need. The problem I'm having is after I put the new ram into my machine it makes 3 beeps when I turn it on.

Looking it up I found that, "3 successive tones, a 5 second pause (repeating): This indicates RAM does not pass a data integrity check."

The model is Macbook 5,1. It is a late 2008 13" unibody Macbook 2.4ghz.

When I put the old 2GB ram stick and the new 4GB ram stick in the computer starts up and shows that it has 6GB of ram. I've rotated both of the new 4GB sticks and both of them work with the 2GB one in there. Just when they are together they fail.

I'm just wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong. Is there some way to fix the error?

Thank you in advance for the help!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Be sure to double check the seating on your RAM sticks. The slots MAY need a firmer pressure than you may be using now, in order to completely seat the stick in the slot.
Try inserting only one of your new 4GB memory sticks. Leave the other slot empty for now. (Your Macbook WILL work with only one memory stick installed, assuming the stick is good)
If that one stick boots OK, swap that same stick to the other slot, again leaving the first slot empty.
If THAT boots OK, insert your second 4GB stick in one slot, again by itself.
Do the same Boot with one stick, changing the stick to the other slot, if successful.
All working good?
Add your second 4GB stick.
I expect it will work, after you have had practice seating the sticks firmly each time.

machea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Thank you for the reply DeltaMac. I've done what you said and still got the same 3 beeps. Does this mean the new RAM is bad? Or is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks again

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
... I've done what you said and still got the same 3 beeps. Does this mean the new RAM is bad? Or is there something I can do to fix it?

I thought you said that it worked with just one new stick, plus your original 2GB stick together.
Did you test each stick one at a time, with only one slot in use, and the other slot left empty? If each stick won't boot by itself, then you have sticks that may just not be compatible.
What brand and specs are the sticks? Are they exactly what the MacBook takes? That should be PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM
If you have something else, like PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 or even faster, those SHOULD clock down to work in your MacBook, but not every stick will do that. Best to use exactly the right specs...

machea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
I thought you said that it worked with just one new stick, plus your original 2GB stick together.
Did you test each stick one at a time, with only one slot in use, and the other slot left empty? If each stick won't boot by itself, then you have sticks that may just not be compatible.
What brand and specs are the sticks? Are they exactly what the MacBook takes? That should be PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM
If you have something else, like PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 or even faster, those SHOULD clock down to work in your MacBook, but not every stick will do that. Best to use exactly the right specs...

Yes it powers on and shows 6GB of ram in the "About my Mac" window with the 4GB stick and the old 2GB stick in the slots. But if I put the either 4GB sticks in there alone or together it will not turn on.

The 4GB stick reads,
Hynix 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800S -11-11-F3

and the old 2GB ones,
Samsung 2GB 2Rx8 PC3 -8500S-07-00-F0

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Yes it powers on and shows 6GB of ram in the "About my Mac" window with the 4GB stick and the old 2GB stick in the slots. But if I put the either 4GB sticks in there alone or together it will not turn on.

The 4GB stick reads,

and the old 2GB ones,

Return if you can. Otherwise, try Thaiphoon Burner. It's a rather inexpensive Windows app capable of virtually changing your RAM specs. Actually it only changes the module's descriptors (SPD registry) to a lower spec, so the Mac's chipset accepts it.

I did it with my 2010 Mini. I bought 2x8GB 1333MHz RAM and got that 3 annoying beeps. So I followed the software directions and downgraded one of the modules to 1066MHz (I had a Windows Vista installation on my Mini along with Snow Leopard). Downgrading only one module to 1066 MHz was enough since the Mac chipset will operate at the lower speed it finds.

However, I had Corsair modules which weren't write-protected for editing its SPD just like Kingston modules. Don't know about Hynix ones.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

The 4GB stick reads,

and the old 2GB ones,

Yes, I think the sticks are just not quite clocking down. Your original stick is PC3-8500. One step up in speed is PC3-10600, and YOUR new sticks are PC3-12800, two full steps above the MacBook's requirements. That is usually the upper limit for compatibility, and may not work nicely (or even not work at all). Which is what you have now.
Return that memory, and get correct specs, and you should be fine.
PC8500 DDR3 SO-DIMM 204pin 1066MHZ
Here's one link to the correct sticks: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3
There's several different brands here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...82,k:PC8500+DDR3+SO-DIMM+204pin+1066MHZ+2x4GB

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I ran into this issue with my friends refurbished Late 2008 MacBook. I have one myself running 8GB and his wasn't having it. Then I looked and found that it didn't have the latest EFI update. I went to OWC and got the link from Apple and it helped recognize it without freaking out. But it was still bad, issue there was crappy PNY RAM. Replaced it with my OWC RAM to test, and it was all good then. :cool:

So first, check your boot ROM version, and download it if needed. Then make sure the RAM is 1066MHz and matched. Then it should be fine and dandy :D

I've had good luck with OWC RAM, good Kingston RAM, and Crucial. But that's about all I'd recommend.

machea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Thank you all for the help! :D Hopefully I can return the RAM and get the correct ones.

getchius

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
Wisconsin
Experiencing Similar Issue - Need Help!

I have a MacBook Pro 5,1, and just upgraded to Yosemite, and also wanted to upgrade the memory to 8gb. I purchased the spec chips to install, but have the exact same issue as MACHEA. Sticks will not work together, but if I install them with one of the 1gb sticks, then it has no problem, and recognizes that there are 5gb installed.

I am not sure what else I can do. Checked all firmware and it's up to date, and the memory is brand new and exactly to spec. Any suggestions?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I am not sure what else I can do. Checked all firmware and it's up to date, and the memory is brand new and exactly to spec. Any suggestions?

"Brand new and exactly to spec" doesn't necessarily equal "good"
If you got an off brand (I consider PNY to be an off-brand in Macs, works - but not always :D ) or a good memory brand, such as Crucial - or DataMemory, etc - return it as defective, and try a different set. If you did get a good manufacturer that is often mentioned here, then a return for swap out with the same memory will likely get you set that all works together.
(It happens sometimes with memory sticks)
Or, get your money back, and go with a good set: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-8...424815372&sr=8-2&keywords=pc3-8500+8GB+sodimm

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I have a MacBook Pro 5,1, and just upgraded to Yosemite, and also wanted to upgrade the memory to 8gb. I purchased the spec chips to install, but have the exact same issue as MACHEA. Sticks will not work together, but if I install them with one of the 1gb sticks, then it has no problem, and recognizes that there are 5gb installed.

What is your boot rom version? There was an update in 2012 that brought it to the latest MBP51.007E.B06 version and it should support 8GB just fine. If you don't have it you can grab it here.

Also, out of curiosity, what brand is the RAM? I used OWC in my Late '08 MacBook and it's been working since 2011. My friend got some PNY sticks from BestBuy and it didn't work at all. He ended up with some Crucial ones I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.