macbook 5,2 backlight inop. Best guide to fix and/or rule out what is broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arkieboy72472, Oct 10, 2018.

1. arkieboy72472 macrumors member

arkieboy72472

So, on occasion, my back-light works on my macbook 5,2 (upon start only), otherwise it is broken. I have heard that either the inverter board or cable may fix it. I have looked all over and the only guide is ifixit, They recommend taking the entire thing apart just to get at the piece, which is behind the clutch cover. Is there no other easier way to replace the inverter. Also the machine works and powers on fine.I can see the screen if I use a flashlight. At no point does the back-light work if I angle the screen in any way.

I understand that if the cables are bad that it is a very in depth fix. I have the tools but have never done this fix before. Does anyone have any info on a fix for this? Any help welcome.

2. technano macrumors member

I have a similar issue with my 4,1 MacBook and I did found a workaround

1) Dim the brightness to the lowest(0) then you increase the brightness by 1. It should be able to hold the backlight. If it’s good then slowly increase the brightness. If it doesn’t work, keep trying.

It’s usuallt a hit and miss

3. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

In all fairness, the machine is not hard to take apart. I did a logicboard swap with one into a 4,1 black case.

I don't remember where the inverter board is. But removal of just the top case alone grants you access to pretty much everything, and that only takes a couple min to remove.

4. arkieboy72472 thread starter macrumors member

arkieboy72472

The display is bad and needs a new one. Everything else was ruled out. Thanks!