MacBook 6,1 stock HDD suddenly dropped to 1.5GBps Link Speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Twimfy, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Weird one here.

I noticed a bit of a performance drop in file transfers on my White 09 Unibody.

After the usual routines of PRAM, SMC, permissions, check for EFI update etc nothing seemed to cure it and the boot time is 20 seconds longer than usual (pretty lame that I know this but who's laughing now?)

Anyway I popped into System preferences to find that my negotiated link speed for my Sata II drive (which is the Hitachi Apple branded one that came with the machine) has suddenly acquired a 1.5GBPs link speed when I know for certain that only a few weeks ago it had 3.0GBPs (I know this because I replaced my Optical drive about a month ago and checked sys info to make sure it was being seen correctly).

Any idea what may have caused this? I know people upgrading to SSDs have this issue but I can't find any info regarding a stock rotational drive.

It's making me worry as soon I was planning to buy an SSD as an upgrade but now I'm thinking that if this is going to be a persistent problem it might not be worth the effort.

Thoughts?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Usually drive errors will cause the negotiated speed to drop.

3. Twimfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

This is what I'm beginning to think.

Although my drive passes most tests, SMART Utility on an 8 hours test shows a lot of pre-fail error codes and CRC errors.

Fingers crossed this new SSD I have planned works out ok.