MacBook+720p movie+external monitor= fps drop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PMR, Sep 5, 2010.

1. PMR macrumors 6502

PMR

Hi guys
    I've been searching a lot but without conclusions.
    I have an old 2ghz macbook with 3gb of ram attached to a hd ready tv via hdmi to dvi cable+mini dvi adapter and when playing a bd 720p rip there's a drop in frame rates when the bit rate is higher. I've tried with both vlc and qt with the latest perian, cpu load it's about half way and I have no problems in a single monitor setup.
    What could this be? The cable setup? Do you guys have any of these problems?
    Thanks.

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I think it stems from the GMA 950 being crap. I have the 2.16 and recently purchased a 21.5" (1920x1080) monitor and can't even play 720p smoothly. I think the higher resolution of the screen causes the GMA to choke.

3. PMR thread starter macrumors 6502

PMR

4. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

If it's not doing it with a single monitor, then it might be the GMA. And if that is the case, the program you linked to looks like it might alleviate the problem. I would give it a go.

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I just tried the hack and I did not notice any performance increase at all, so there must be some other issue.

6. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I was afraid of that. I was hoping it was just the GMA having problems updating both screens... but the fact is on Macs with the GMA the CPU does most of the work of decoding video... I hate to say it, but your CPU might just be too slow.:(

7. PMR thread starter macrumors 6502

PMR

Well, my cpu copes with 1080p at 10mbps just fine. The decoding isn't made by intel gma a single bit, but I just found the problem.
    In a single monitor mode, it plays everything I throw at it with no fps drops. I found that the problem was from the gma being to slow to output the data to an external monitor or hdtv. Did this trick (http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/macos-apps/38-gma-overclocking) and now 720p with 9mbps peaks plays with no problems in my hdtv.

blackbook 2.1@2Ghz-3GB Ram-10.6.4-Intel GMA950(supposedly@400Mhz)

You may try this trick.
    PS- Plug the power adapter when playing hd to an external monitor, since 10.5 you can't set the cpu performance.

Thank you for the replies!

8. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Wow I'm glad it worked.:)

9. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader