Macbook A1342 2.26ghz (2009) water damaged, need help diagnosing fault

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by miniman91, Sep 12, 2013.

1. miniman91 macrumors newbie

hi guys and girls! my names max, ive been browsing the forum for a few weeks now trying to solve / figure out whats damaged or faulty on my girlfriends macbook 2009 unibody! so i have finally run out of ideas and need some experienced help!

basically it all started around 4 weeks ago, my girlfriend decides to spill a cup of tea all over it. it was not on charge and was turned off immediately, then left open and upside down to allow as much fluid to drain out. well after a week of drying i tryed to power it up, nothing, no sign of life at all.

after that i wasn't too hopefully but i decided to completely take it apart and clean up all the components, the closes thing to hand was terminal cleaner which i read online would do the job. once completed i re-assembled it and still no life, but to my surprise, when the power button is pressed the fan spins for a second and the power light flashes for a second then nothing!

with the magsafe connected the orange light shows as if charging and then goes green after a a while as if its fully charged.

i decided to try test each individual component on the macbook and here is a list of what working so far:

- keyboard
    - trackpad
    - fan
    - ram
    - harddrive

i know these are working as they where all tested on my macbook pro and functioned perfectly. the harddrive loaded up my girlfriends osx, documents and programs.

i havent managed to test the bluetooth/wireless unit, complete screen unit or the speakers as they wont connect up to my macbook pro.

basically i need some advise on what you think the problem could possibly be, tests i can do etc to try get it working. i no its probably the logic board but before i go any further with that idea i wanted to make sure its not something silly that ive forgot to check / do.

I've ordered some 90% isopropyl to try give the logic board another clean incase there is something shorting out somewhere.

any help would be grateful! will try get a video of what exactly happens when the power button is pressed soon

thanks, max

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How did you test out the keyboard and track pad if the Mac never started? Also, the logic board can be faulty (even though you think its not) due to corrosion.

3. miniman91 thread starter macrumors newbie

all the parts from the macbook where removed and i tested the ones that had the same connections on my macbook pro and they functioned fine. the trackpad ribbon, keyboard ribbon, disc drive and harddrive cables are identical to the ones on my MB Pro

i DO think the logic board is the problem, but i want to make sure its not something small I've forgot to test or reset before i look into replacing or fixing it as its the most expensive part

4. miniman91 thread starter macrumors newbie

no one has any ideas or suggestions? i ordered some isopropyl alcohol to give the board another clean incase i missed any leftover liquid from the spillage but I'm still getting the same result. press power button, light flashes once, fan spins for a second then nothing :(

any ideas???

5. madmacfan, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

madmacfan macrumors 6502

Definitely clean the logic board on both sides with isopropyl, also clean the ram slots and the top case connections while you're there and have a look at the dc in board/ charging circuit for any signs of corrosion or burnt out components. make sure the top case connections to the keyboard, power button and trackpad are properly seated in the macbook as they can be a pain in the a** to refit. If you still have no joy, one thing to do is to try and jump the start the macbook with the top case removed using a flat edged screwdriver to short the pins on the logic board's top case connection . if it manages to boot ok then the top case may need to be replaced (i.e the keyboard/ power button assembly. if you still have no luck you can also try to boot the macbook with the battery out and with just the magsafe charger connected. Let me know how you get on

6. waitery macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 2010 A1342 that has the exact same issue. Hit the power button and the fans spin for a second and the sleep light flashes. No chime and nothing on the screen, but I get green indicator on the magsafe and it turns orange and charges the battery as well. I get 3.4 volts on the G3Hot and have cleaned the board several times with 90% ISP. Tried to do a reset and bypass on the SMC, still no dice. Can someone provide me with a diagram that can show me how troubleshoot this or where the respective fuses are at? Thank you in advance!

7. Drharrington macrumors member

8. iancflam macrumors member

MacBook white 2007 A1181

I encounter the same. "won't boot" issue for my MacBook White late-2007 model A1181
    However, I didn't have any water / drop - just haven't used it for a long time.

After I pressed the power button, the MagSafe connector color changed from orange to green for 3 seconds and back to orange when I have both battery and ac power plugged in, but MacBook will not turn on ( no chime, no display on)

Had dissembled the case and found out the fan would spin for 3 second and then stop after I pressed the power button(same time for color change at MagSafe), but won't boot up afterwards.
    But if I keep press the power button or short the power jumper, the fan would continue spinning until I release the button/ short. Still won't boot on / no display or chime...

What should I do to make it work again? I don't have money for a new one and I hope that there's a cheaper way instead of buying a new motherboard.....

Thank you very much if for any helps in advance!!

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your Mac has other problems, not necessarily the logic board.

10. iancflam macrumors member

what do you think the other possible problem?

By which amount do you guys think it's worth to repair it? like under $100?

Is it that it may sell for $200 for used?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If the cost is under $500 I would repair it. But that's me.