MacBook Air 1.8Ghz with SSD, four months shelf life. Good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HiFiGuy528, Sep 18, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I found a NEW MacBook Air 1.8GHZ with 64 SSD for only $1999 shipped to my door. Considering Apple may not introduce a new model next month, do you think it is a good idea to take this deal? I think a new Air will not be shown until its one year anniversary (MW 09'). Which will give this model 4 months of shelf life. At this price, it is about $1200 in savings.

Your thoughts?

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I paid significantly more for mine when it first came out and I love it. I travel a lot and I needed a lightweight laptop.

If you don't need a laptop right now though I would wait till January, because if anything Apple will probably give the processor a speed bump. And the usual increase in HDD space. The model your talking about is the same one I own. You get less than 60GB of useable HD space. Which is fine if you don't plan on using it as your main computer.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if it's a ebay deal or a craigslist deal be careful. that is $600 under apple price. could be a scam.

4. phoobo macrumors regular

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My thoughts exactly. Also, if you don't need it (as opposed to wanting it) just now, I'd consider waiting until October/January whenever the next update is issued; as Cynicalone points out, there will probably be a HDD boost and speed bump, although I doubt the larger SSD will appear for around another year or so, due to cost and pricing.

If you don't care for the new models issued as part of the upgrade, then go refurb and you will have the benefit of knowing that the computer has been individually rigorously tested and that it comes with the Apple warranty.

Yes, it sounds like a good deal, but keep your eyes open, and perhaps, wait.
    Cheers and good luck

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you have the MacBook listed in your signature you're wasting your money. Air is slower, has fewer ports, has no disc drive, has less ram, has a smaller hard disk, has half the number of speakers and is virtually the same size as the computer you've already got.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's a great deal like many peeps have already said, unless you need it, it's good to wait for the next revision; who knows, it might have a faster processor, hopefully SATA (which means faster SSDs), and maybe a better GPU like a 8400m which is low heat and power, but ages ahead of X3100 and X4500.

8. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Look at this deal! He is a Power Seller with 99.3% positive feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190252295640&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

You guys are right. I should wait. The Air is nice and the deal is good, but other than it being COOL, it is a down grade in porformace from what I currently have. I will wait for the new model because this one is close to the end of life cycle.