Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJohn0271

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have a MacBook Air 13” 2013. I have not used it for about at least an year and today I tried to power it on. It doesn’t chart even after connecting to MagSafe adapter for more than 60 minutes.

The MagSafe adapter doesnt lit. Since it was in a shelf, it was cold. I tried to keep it in living room for a while and tried again. No luck.

I tried some steps mentioned in the support article, still no luck.

I saw on apple website that the battery replacement costs for about $129, but not whether apple supports battery replacements for 2013 model. I have AppleCare but of course it is expired.

Do you think the problem is with MagSafe? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
First, ensure there's nothing blocking or plugging up any of the MagSafe adapter holes or connection, i.e. no dust, particles, etc. Blow the port and the adapter out with with air. Also, take a close look at all the metal pins in your Magsafe. It is possible one of the pins has sunk in a bit into the housing; that alone would cause a charge failure. Unlikely, but it's a one-minute examination to rule it out.

After looking for any physical obstructions, try an SMC reset. Plug in the MagSafe. Then simultaneously hold down [Shift] + [Control] + [Option] + [Power button] and do it for like four to five seconds. Then release all of them simultaneously. See if your MagSafe will light up after that, and if so, then try to boot the Air (keep the MagSafe plugged in).

If you know anyone else with a working MagSafe, try that too. Try to charge your Air with someone else's MagSafe, and try to charge their laptop with your MagSafe. Another effective rule-out step.

If none of these steps reveal the problem, most common culprits will be the battery, possibly the motherboard (or "logic board" in Applespeak). Also, don't discount a bad RAM stick, but it's likely soldered in, so no easy fix there.

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Remove the bottom cover, disconnect the battery from the logic board, replace the bottom cover, connect the charger, do not touch the machine, and it should turn on by itself after 30 to 60 seconds. If it boots up, it will be slow because the system does not detect a battery.

Reactions: SteveJohn0271

SteveJohn0271

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2018
Thanks guys! I tried resetting the smc but no luck. Luckily I was able to get Apple Genius Bar appt at my local store and they performed diagnostics on Mac. The charger died. Battery and entire Mac is passed the test. Actually I brought this in 2011 not in 2013... thankfully the store offered me a free replacement charger... they ordered online for free since it was not in stock at store... will receive it in 2-3 days... fully charged the Mac at store and reimagine with latest OS and software and left the store just now :) very very happy.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.