Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I buy the 13.3" 2GB RAM 128GB SSD for $1150 or save up for the 13.3" 4GB RAM?

• Save up for the 13.3" 4GB RAM 128GB SSD.

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • Buy the 13.3" 2GB RAM 128GB SSD.

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
... should I buy it or keep saving up to get a new 13.3" 4GB RAM 128GB SSD from MacMall for $1352? Also, I forgot to mention that the MBA that I can get for $1150 is slightly used but looks brand new and comes with the following programs installed on it: Microsoft Office Mac 2011 - Home and Business Edition, Adobe PhotoShop CS5 Extended, FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced and iLife 2011.

In that list of installed programs, Microsoft Office and iLife 2011 are the only ones I care about.

Dunno what to do... help me decide guys! I've got around $1200+ saved up so far, so I could probably have the money for the 4GB NEW 13.3" within another month or two.

I have a Quad-Core 8GB RAM, 1TB PC for all my CPU-intensive tasks.

I will be using the MBA for e-mailing, browsing, playing some games from the Ma App Store, watching videos on youtube and maybe watching some movies, and thats about it. Maybe some skyping every now and again, but that won't be too often.

I do plan on keeping the MBA for 3-4 years and maybe 1 year into college (I'm a sophomore in high school), and then will buy the latest model of the MBA again.

But like I said before, for any CPU-intensive tasks, I will use my PC.

So, what do you guys think I should do? :)

NOTE: I do not need a MBA right now at this point in time, although it would be quite nice to have one... especially since I'm not liking the idea of a possible refresh in June since the MBA will most likely get IGP 3000, which sucks compared to the Nvidia 320m in the current MBA, so keep that in mind when helping me decide what to do.

EDIT: The 13.3" 2GB RAM 128GB SSD MBA comes with the Apple Warranty and 2+ years of Best Buy warranty.

feeth

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
I just ordered the following refurb from apple. They are out of stock again, but they pop up every few days. Check in the am.

RFB MBAIR 13.3/1.86/4GB/128FLASH

Subtotal
$1,189.00
Estimated Tax
$83.23

Order Total
$1,272.23

m3digi

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
NYC
Given your long range plans for the MBA, I'd keep an eye out for a used or refurbished MBA spec with 4GB of RAM.

If you don't need one right now, I would wait to see what Apple rolls out in the new MBA. If you're not satisfied with the update and reviews then you'll always be able to find an MBA to buy used or as a refurb.

Chopstick217

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
I would recommend you get 4 GB of memory for sure. The ram is soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be upgraded afterwards. Try looking for a refurbished one. I believe the 13 inch ultimate is roughly 1,500. That's almost 300 off retail.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I just ordered the following refurb from apple. They are out of stock again, but they pop up every few days. Check in the am.

Subtotal
$1,189.00
Estimated Tax
$83.23

Order Total
$1,272.23

Ultimately, this is what I REALLY want to do, but this refurb configuration is so hard to find, and for only a bit more, I can get a brand new one from MacMall with the same specs without having to wait. The only reason that 13.3/4GB/128GB config is $1352 from MacMall is because I plan on choosing priority overnight shipping, but with free shipping it's only $1318, while the 13.3/4GB/128GB refurb is $1286 for me with overnight shipping. So yeah, only slightly more.

Given your long range plans for the MBA, I'd keep an eye out for a used or refurbished MBA spec with 4GB of RAM.

If you don't need one right now, I would wait to see what Apple rolls out in the new MBA. If you're not satisfied with the update and reviews then you'll always be able to find an MBA to buy used or as a refurb.

I dunno, though. I've played with the 13.3" in my local Apple Store maybe 30 times now lol (I really like the MBA lol... been using PC's all my life and Mac's are HUMONGOUS step forward. Much more intuitive and more of a finished product than Windows seems to be) so I have a pretty good idea of how it runs.

Also, the MBA at the Apple Store is the 13.3/2GB/128GB Config and I've loaded browsing, iTunes, iWork/Microsoft Office, email, and apps on it and ran them all at the same time and did not ever experience a slowdown, hence why I'm on the fence between ordering the 2GB RAM MBA or the 4GB RAM MBA.

Gah, this is a very hard decision for me. x.x

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I would recommend you get 4 GB of memory for sure. The ram is soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be upgraded afterwards. Try looking for a refurbished one. I believe the 13 inch ultimate is roughly 1,500. That's almost 300 off retail.

This is the other thing that concerns me. Futureproofing is very important to me as I want to be able to run future programs without issue.

I don't think I'm going to get an ultimate model. I have a 1TB HDD on my PC and I've been using this PC for over a year now and I still have 701GB free, so the 256GB SSD isn't really necessary, nor is the slight bump in processor speed to 2.13GHz.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If future-proofing is your concern, save up for the 4GB model since RAM is not upgradeable. Perhaps we'll get some more clarity as to exactly what the Sandy Bridge MacBook Air will look like by then, but in any case, the extra RAM will come in handy as more programs are written to take advantage of 64-bit support.

The 2GB Air can certainly handle what you throw at it now (I used a Rev B for 2 years before my Rev D and a Rev A for 8 months before that), but the extra $100 for the 4GB will help if you want to keep the Air for awhile.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
If future-proofing is your concern, save up for the 4GB model since RAM is not upgradeable. Perhaps we'll get some more clarity as to exactly what the Sandy Bridge MacBook Air will look like by then, but in any case, the extra RAM will come in handy as more programs are written to take advantage of 64-bit support.

The 2GB Air can certainly handle what you throw at it now (I used a Rev B for 2 years before my Rev D and a Rev A for 8 months before that), but the extra $100 for the 4GB will help if you want to keep the Air for awhile.

Very true. I think I'm gonna use my brain on this one and save up for the 4GB RAM MBA, instead of just going with my gut and ordering the 2GB RAM MBA only to regret not saving up for the 4GB MBA.

Thanks for helping my decide guys. ;)

TheXFactor

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011

Subtotal
$1,189.00
Estimated Tax
$83.23

Order Total
$1,272.23

That's the exact refurb I received last week. 4 gig of ram is a must have...I saw it the first time and let it pass. Saw it again and jumped on it.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I just received my refurb 4gig/1.87/128GB. I love it! No issues at all. Awesome Computer.

Awesome, I think I'm going to jump on the 4GB/1.86/128GB refurb when its available, then!

Just to be sure, when ordering a refurb on Apple.com, shipping ALWAYS requires a signature upon delivery no matter what shipping option you choose, correct?

feeth

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Awesome, I think I'm going to jump on the 4GB/1.86/128GB refurb when its available, then!

Just to be sure, when ordering a refurb on Apple.com, shipping ALWAYS requires a signature upon delivery no matter what shipping option you choose, correct?

I had thought about the macmall option too. They only thing that led me to the refurb is apple's 14 day return policy. Macmall has a restocking fee.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
UPDATE: I've saved up enough money to order a 4GB/128GB/1.86GHz MBA :)

Good thing I didn't just buy the one I found on Craigslist lol.

fristuff

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
I'm on the same boat

Hi guys,

I'm debating on the same exact thing, and here's the thing.

What if I can get the 2 gb one for $1000? or even $900?

Compared to the $1260 I'd pay for a refurbished 4 gb, saving +260 bucks sounds like a lot, and like OP said, playing with a 2 gb one seemed fine to me too.

let me know!

m3digi

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
NYC
I think it's all been said at this point, and the pros and cons have been laid out. Ultimately the decision rests with you.

feeth

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
So far so good. It looks, smells and works like new. Plus I saved a few hundred $$. I put applecare on it. You really can't tell the difference between the refurb and new.

Just got my 4GB/128GB/1.86GHz 13 refurb today, looks like new and no issues.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
UPDATE: I've saved up enough money to order a 4GB/128GB/1.86GHz MBA :)

Good thing I didn't just buy the one I found on Craigslist lol.

Nice. I think you'll be happy you went with the 4GB model.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Hi guys,

Compared to the $1260 I'd pay for a refurbished 4 gb, saving +260 bucks sounds like a lot, and like OP said, playing with a 2 gb one seemed fine to me too.

let me know!

I think you should just get the 4GB as it really is becoming the standard now-a-days.

I'll post in this thread when I receive my MBA to let everyone know how it is. ;)

Also, this is my first mac and my first ever refurb from Apple. Hopefully everything works perfect. :D

By the way, it already says "Prepared for Shipment" even though on Apple's website it said it would ship in 3-5 days. I take it that means it will ship tomorrow and most likely get here on Monday, correct?

TheXFactor

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
I think you should just get the 4GB as it really is becoming the standard now-a-days.

I'll post in this thread when I receive my MBA to let everyone know how it is. ;)

Also, this is my first mac and my first ever refurb from Apple. Hopefully everything works perfect. :D

By the way, it already says "Prepared for Shipment" even though on Apple's website it said it would ship in 3-5 days. I take it that means it will ship tomorrow and most likely get here on Monday, correct?
Mine said that after I ordered on April 2, which was a Saturday. In fact, I received a tracking number a few hours after I ordered. I received it on April 6, which was a Wednesday.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Mine said that after I ordered on April 2, which was a Saturday. In fact, I received a tracking number a few hours after I ordered. I received it on April 6, which was a Wednesday.

Oh okay, then I probably won't get mine till Tuesday at the earliest.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Hi guys,

let me know!

Depends what you want to do with it. More RAM is great, but $260+ for 2GB of RAM is a lot of money. 2GB is more than enough for general use and even some heavy use (e.g., light Photoshop).

For the cost of moving up to the 4GB model, you should be really, really sure you need the extra RAM.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Depends what you want to do with it. More RAM is great, but $260+ for 2GB of RAM is a lot of money. 2GB is more than enough for general use and even some heavy use (e.g., light Photoshop).

For the cost of moving up to the 4GB model, you should be really, really sure you need the extra RAM.

It's actually only +$100 to upgrade from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM, so that's $160 less than you said which is pretty significant. ;)

Okay, now about the MBA that I ordered... Estimated delivery date is Monday, April 18th, 2011.

I do have a question, though. Today is Saturday, April 16th, 2011 and at 12:30 AM this morning, the tracking info updated to say that it arrived at a Fedex Location in Newark, NJ. The problem is, it's now 2:53 PM as I type this -- almost 13 hours later -- and the tracking info still says "Arrived at FedEx location NEWARK, NJ. And yes, it says arrived. It hasn't even departed or moved at all since it has arrived there.

Is this because it's Saturday and they don't update their tracking info on weekends or what? This kind of concerns me as I have never had this happen to me in the past and am extremely excited to receive this on Monday and don't want there to be any delays. :(

So yeah, anyone got the answer to my question?

Thanks in advance lol. :)

This shall be my first Mac and I cannot wait. ^_^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.