macbook air 13.3 inch, airport extreem, magic mouse, magic trackpad and more.........

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aPple nErd, May 24, 2012.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

ok i just saw an ad on my local craigslist. ok the is the kicker: macbook air 13 inch, i7 1.8 ghz, magic mouse, magic trackpad, macbook air super drive, carrying case, wireless keyboard, and airport extreme! all for...... drum roll..... $465. all almost brand new! should i jump on this deal???

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

For something that is "almost brand new" (whatever that means) the price is way too low. Depending on the size of the SSD, that MBA would have retailed for $1300-$1600. Even a refurbed MBA with those specs would be at least $999 to $1299.

If you want to take a chance, I'd ask the seller to send me a copy of the About this Mac overview. That way you can confirm the year and use the serial number to make sure it is not stolen. Of course you'd have no way to verify that the info was from the MBA he is actually selling. So ...

Personally I'd walk away from this. Seems too good to be true to me.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

See http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Simple adage: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

4. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Well it is kind of funny sounding but I emailed him to see the number. Also it's on my local Craigslist so I could always go and see it in person.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    In a few words

Run from this deal! My feeling is, it is stolen,that said, once the thief has your money,assuming this deal exists, YOU are trusting him to ship it;)
    Not with my money!

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I give it a 50% chance of the reply being "Oh, shoot, you're a little late, I just moved to [another city/another state/another country] because of [job/personal/military]. I can mail it to you, though, and I won't even charge you shipping. I'll even cut you a break and only charge [$400/$350/$300]. Just send me [cashiers check/money order/Western Union] and I'll send it right over!"

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If for some reason it was legit (too dumb to know the resale value or desperate for cash), it would be gone by the time you posted this.

8. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Hi, I am getting back to you regarding the 13" MacBook AIR from Craigslist

My name is Emily and I am now in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
    The MacBook is still available and I hope you are still interested.
    I am selling the MacBook for US $450. I have attached some pics with it to this email.
    It's 1.80 GHZ i7, has 4 GB of RAM, 384 MB of Video Memory and 256 GB SSD (works 5 times faster as a normal HD) of storage.
    The MacBook was bought brand new from Apple a couple of months ago.
    About the MacBook I can say it's in perfect shape, as I used it only for a few weeks. Included in the $450 price is everything that came with the MacBook and also the warranty papers.
    I tried to be as thorough as I could with the presentation so you can have all the info if you decide to go ahead and buy it. So what do you think? Do you want my MacBook?

ha they really must have read this tread lol!

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Nope, just a common scam. Reply with "Oh, hey, my sister lives in Vancouver, can she come get it in person?" and watch the person disappear or hem and haw and find an excuse why that won't work.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Haha, I got roughly the same email from "Emily from Vancouver" as well. I saw an add for a 15" Macbook Pro for $610. It didn't state the year and other than a picture that it was a Unibody, it had no other information. I assumed it was probably a late 2008 or at best an early 2009. I was looking for a cheap Macbook Pro for a nephew of mine and thought it might fit the bill. When "she" emailed me back with it being a "late 2011" with blah blah blah for extras, I stopped reading. Deleted the email and never looked back.

11. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

The same Emily?! Do you happen to be in the st. Lois area?

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Nope in Des Moines, Iowa. Trust me, the same "Emily". It's a scam. As soon as her email said Vancouver (i.e. outside of the United States) and a Late 2011, I moved on. "She" sent me lots of pretty pictures of her hands holding the Macbook Pro. Scammers love Craigslist. As long as they are outside of the US, then they are pretty much free from any kind of jail time/retribution/etc.

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Hell, I probably got the same response from the same "Emily" a few months ago in Portland, OR. I deleted the email, but when the reply came back "I'm in Vancouver, BC", I said that I was about to go up there on a trip (true) so I could pick it up in person. Never heard back (strangely enough.)

Yeah, I knew it was a scam after the first email reply - just fun to string them along.