MacBook Air 2013 with 128GB Hard Drive. Room for Windows 7 or 8.1 in Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SuYang, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SuYang macrumors newbie

Hi,

Basically, I want to know if it is a good idea to add a Bootcamp partition of Windows 7 or 8.1 to my MacBook for running games? I got a 128 GB MacBook Air 2013 Haswell model.

Is this too small to run a Bootcamp partition of, say, between 35-50 GB in order to run a few games and a couple of pieces of Windows-only software?

I am aware that if I did this I would only have about 60 or so free GB of storage on OS X. However, I've thought of also adding 64 to 128GB Jet Drive Live storage for storing music, videos and files, which would give me more room.

Would anyone here advise for or against installing Bootcamp on this basis?

Best Wishes,
    Kenny

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I generally recommend a minimum of 60 GB for Windows if you want to install a game or two. You can free up a bit of space in Windows by disabling your hibneration file; hibernate is not necessary on system with solid-state drives. Removing it will free up an amount of space equivalent to your RAM.

3. SuYang thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Also wondered if, from a size perspective (and possibly gaming performance, too) if you would recommend Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

Cheers,