MacBook Air about to break - can I perhaps fix this myself? (picture included))

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by john-, Aug 16, 2010.

1. john- macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I can't even tell what exactly has happened to my MacBook Air. But apparently it's in a really bad shape. This was suddenly there when I opened it, and it made some really awful cracking sound. See for yourself:

http://imgur.com/8SC1z.jpg

Due to my bad camera, you can only guess that it's also starting to break on the front:

http://i.imgur.com/UQvYi.jpg

So I don't suppose that Apple Care will cover that. Any ideas on how I could fix this myself? Is it worth a try to remove the back to push things where they ought to be?

Thank you,
    John

2. orourke macrumors newbie

It's the macbook air hinge issue. It's a recognised problem and is covered (even out of applecare). Take it back to apple and they'll fix it within a couple of days (they will replace the whole top section, screen and all as it's all one piece). There should be no questions from apple on this.

3. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

try to backup your data if you can - otherwise - yes - get that to Apple

4. alne macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to my MBA revision A recently. Apple replaced top section of the case (with screen) - no questions asked. It took about 4-5 days (including weekend) because they had to order the parts. If Apple store in your area would have all parts in stock they will fix your MBA while you wait. It takes less than an hour to swap parts.

5. john- thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your responses! As I do not have an Apple Store nearby, I will call Apple directly first thing tomorrow. Will also report back to you with whatever is gonna happen. Thanks again.

6. john- thread starter macrumors newbie

apple seems to be fair about it and apple care is presumeably gonna cover it. however, the nearest apple service partner says that it would take him 3-4 weeks which is not acceptable for me as i depend on that machine job-wise.

i'll try and drive to an apple store to see if they can provide help any quicker than that.

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Do you live in the US? Apple should let you ship it to them, they fix it and send it back to you.

8. theappleguy macrumors 6502

I can also tell mine is going to break very soon. Hinge is coming loose on the same side as your MacBook Air. Does anyone know whether Apple will repair it before it physically cracks and comes out of alignment? Next week would be a really convenient week for me to have it repaired, but at this stage it is only loose and rubbing a little bit, not actually broken.