Macbook Air and iPod Classic or Macbook Air and iPhone w/ superdrive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applefan289, Aug 22, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I plan on buying a 13" Macbook Air as my primary computer (web surfing, emails, etc.) but also wanted a portable Apple device to play iTunes music in the car.

Would I be better off with an iPod Classic or an iPhone? The iPhone I would use as an all-around portable device, whereas the Classic would mainly be kept in the glove compartment connected to the iPod dock plug.

If I get the iPhone, I would also have to get the Macbook Air SuperDrive so that I can burn music to CDs if I ever don't want to use the iPhone for car-listening (because it has so many other features built-in).

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Does your car have usb or aux input? If it has usb, you might be able to simply put your music on a memory stick and play it. If it has an aux input, I suggest a Nano for use in the car. I don't suggest an iPhone as a music player as it is expensive (with voice and mandatory data plan).

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well do you need a phone? It doesn't make much sense to get the iPhone when you could get the iPod Touch for less that does the same exact thing (if you aren't using it for the phone capabilities).

If you don't, the Classic is great but if you don't have "that" much music, I'd get a nano or touch.

They both are flash based so you won't have problems with it from bumping and all the motion that goes on in the car (if it's sititng in the cup holder or something) over time.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I also just thought of something; back when I had the Classic for a few days, I found that I had to look and really 'work' with the device to get to where I wanted to go. I mean that, if you're in the car, the last thing you want to do is have to really look and concentrate on the device in your hand.

Tactile feedback is best so you can keep your eyes on the road, however, I found that with the iPod Touch/iPad I could find what I wanted faster if I took all of the effort to do it (only at red lights/stop signs of course) but with the scroll based iPods (classic/nano), you have to fiddle with it and it's more tempting to do it while driving, increasing the chances you'll crash.

As in, it's harder to operate the touch screen and it's easier to notice this; as a result, you'll be less likely to mess with it while driving. On the other hand, it takes longer to do the scroll but it "seems" easier to do while driving, so you might have a tendency to mess with it then.

BUT, being able to click the wheel after being in a playlist as opposed to tapping the screen is a plus there. Just something I thought of while scrolling through the topic again.