Macbook Air and UK Education store online warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MBAir 2012, Jul 10, 2013.

1. MBAir 2012 macrumors newbie

Hello.

Could someone confirm if in the UK online education store, do you get 3 years apple warranty as appose to 1 year buying in store? Bought Macbook Air from the store few days ago, still unopened and thinking of returning and buying online. Anyone think if I called Apple they'd extend the warranty without having to return/re-buy to save the hassle?

Thanks.

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yes, return it, it doesn't matter if you've opened it or not. You have 14 day refund window open anyway (as long as it's not damaged). Any orders made from telephone or online will come with 3 years apple warranty since some law enforces Apple to give you the warranty bonus via online/telephone but not in-store.

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

No, Lunfai is incorrect.

If you purchase through the education store, whether its online, phone, or in store, you get a 1 year warranty and need to purchase Applecare to extend it to 3 years.

If you purchase via the university HE route (you need to order from within campus) you get a bigger discount (15%) and you get the 3 year warranty included (you need to pay £50 if yu want to extend the phone support, but you get 3 years parts and labour free).

Since you purchased via the standard education route, you have correctly been given the standard 1 year warranty, and need to buy Applecare to extend this if desired. This does not matter if you buy online, you will still only get 1 year warrenty.
    To get 3 years you need to purchase online AND through the university route (but need to be on campus to get to the discounted prices and order)

4. MBAir 2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

3 years warranty

I've just spoken to someone at Apple and they said I should be able to place the order over the phone and get the 3 years warranty?? Uni is closed at the moment.

Thanks.

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

As far as Im aware its an on campus thing - not sure if you can do it over the phone but you'd need to send in ID of some sort.

I did mine online and it came straight through - wasnt even asked for any ID - guess I got lucky! lol

6. dpcontardi macrumors newbie

You can get an NUSExtra card from http://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra if you're studying at a recognized HE/FE college which costs £12 for a year you can then access the NUS Extra Apple Store for Education (http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5001196) and get the education discount plus automatic 3 year warranty.

The NUS Extra card also gives you discounts at other places including Amazon, Dell and others.

7. r6mile macrumors 6502

8. mattferg macrumors 6502

You only get the three year warranty when you buy it online through the HE site.

Source:
    http://appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk/

9. carolineuk macrumors newbie

well, i bought my MBP when i was in my first week at uni and all i needed was proof that i was at uni. that was in the form of an acceptance letter.
    the rumours you need to be on campus to order is BS.
    All Apple are intereste din is seeing proof you are in education, which enables you to the discount AND the 3 yr warranty included. anyone else who isnt in education would have to stick with the normal 1 yr warranty and the apple care 3 yr option which is not to dear.....however...if u are buying an apple computer and u r in education, then you can get the % and the included 3 yr warranty.
    and the screen went black a few times on my MBP....almost short of 3 yrs.....and I got a new logic board fitted free...all in warranty still... there is a god...... yeah. grafix card and logic board conflicted......anyhoo its allll gooood. i do lol at myself.......i dont have luck with apple computers....my 1st ibook literally died on me....and im on my 2nd one...lol yup i still have it but i dont use it now....its well slow...awww i love that brick...feels so mean to do the ready-set-GO start up . mbp v's ibook. awww ibooooooook

10. grame macrumors member

You can get the discount by telephone - they just need proof of your education status - but not in stores. There they charge you £48.

An email account with the 'ac.uk' suffix does the job. Did with me.

11. teffers macrumors regular

I bought online, via the education store, in July this year. I didn't even have to enter any college or school details. I got the 3 years base edu apple care free.

12. JonLa macrumors 6502

To see the discounts online:

You must be on your campus network for this to work:
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/education_routing

Choose your university from the lists

Voila the prices will change (because an ac.uk IP) and you'll be able to see the terms and conditions etc.