Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
I know this question has been posed regarding the (non)existence of an optical digital audio out. My question is a bit different.

Recently purchased the 2012 13" MBA. Little did I know, coming from a 2009 13" MBP, that the new MBAs did not have optical digital audio out. I use XBMC to play movies on my Samsung LCD TV very often. The .mkv movies that I play carry DTS or Dolby Digital. I used to use an optical cable hooked up to my MBP and connected to my Logitech Z-5500s. Digital audio would play flawlessly.

Obviously, this is not possible with the MBA. My question is, with a displayport to HDMI, hooked up to my Samsung LCD TV and an optical digital audio cable hooked up to the back of my TV and that cable going to the Logitech Z-5500s, will THAT carry the digital audio signal and allow playback of DTS or DD through XBMC. I tried this method, but am only getting an obnoxiously loud static sound. However, I don't know if a setting I am using is incorrect or something of that nature.

Lastly, if I were to get a true HD receiver, with HDMI inputs and output, would I then be able to get digital audio. Or does the MBA simply not carry digital audio at all.

Please excuse the lengthy post as I was trying to be as clear as possible. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The Macbook Air 2010 and newer, possibly the 2009, are able to output digital audio out over mini-DisplayPort to HDMI.

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
The Macbook Air 2010 and newer, possibly the 2009, are able to output digital audio out over mini-DisplayPort to HDMI.

I am using the MDP to HDMI and then using the optical digital audio out on the back of my TV to the Z-5500s optical digital audio input. However that is when I get static noise when I try to play the .mkv movie file in XBMC. Using VLC will also yield analog audio only.

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Digital audio or digital audio over optical? They're different things but achieve the same goal.

Initially it is over HDMI and connected to my tv. My tv has optical audio out. I am using that connection to connect to my Logitech Z-5500.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you looked in the sound settings for the tv my 9000 series has the option to push hdmi1 audio to optical with delay/ advance settings

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Have you looked in the sound settings for the tv my 9000 series has the option to push hdmi1 audio to optical with delay/ advance settings

Yes I looked into the tv settings. I don't have such an option. I do indeed get sound from the optical audio on the TV. However, it is recognized only as analog audio originating from the MacBook air. If I switch the audio settings under xbmc to HDMI or Optical, I get a loud static noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.