MacBook Air Mid 2013 with a black screen of death

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nardr, Jun 16, 2015.

1. nardr macrumors newbie

Guys, doing fine?

So, I am a beta tester of OS X Yosemite and, because of many updates, I don't know what is the exactly version I was using.

Yesterday, when I pickup my Mac to see my bank account (I leave it always turned on with Insomnia), I notice that my Mac was kind of hot and turning the ventilator really fast, like few times before.

Even that, it was on and my desktop was been showed, but I couldn't get any response of the mouse.

So, I forced a restart. When I turned on again, I hear the startup sound, the screen was clearly on, but no image was been show.

I contact the Apple Support Chat, did many tries, like reset the SMC and try to restore a backup, but nothing. No image. Support told me that there is probably a hardware problem and a I should bring the MacBook to an Apple Store.

So, I'm wondering if you guys have any thoughts about what this could be. I live in Brazil and I'm going to Miami next Wednesday. I'll be there for 6 days, so, if the fix lasts more than this, I won't be able to wait. There's any chance that I can get another Mac giving this one by a "ok" price?

Thank you.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

The backlight might be broken. Is there NO image at all, or is it just extremely dark? Maybe you can shine a flashlight on the screen to make the image more visible.

If there's no image at all, I suspect it's probably a software problem of some kind. Don't know what it could be though.

3. nardr thread starter macrumors newbie

Just dark. There is light, because the logo in the other side is shining. But there is no image generate though, it just keeps a black window. Not even the Apple logo.

Hopefully, it is a software problem.

4. newellj macrumors 601

Have you tried the start-up diagnostics and hardware test?

5. nardr thread starter macrumors newbie

how could I do that without seeing any image on the screen?

6. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Plug in to an external monitor and run the hardware test.

7. newellj macrumors 601

Power off, power up with the required key presses and see if you get any display.