Macbook air most of keyboard not working and trackpad only right-clicks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pandarock32, Sep 20, 2014.

1. pandarock32 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I posted this a while ago in the apple.com forums but nobody replied. I haven't had the problem again, but I'm really curious to see if anyone else here has and what it could be! :)

I bought a macbook air 11 inch about 2 months ago. It's been great, apart from a glitch I had recently, and I was wondering if it is a common problem. As I was using my macbook, (I think it had only been on a few minutes) suddenly I noticed the trackpad was only right-clicking and the keyboard did not work. I tried pressing power, which worked, and when I pressed it again and was asked for my password, I couldn't type it in. I managed to turn it off by holding the power button and pressing enter, and when it rebooted it was fine. This was on the last Mavericks version before the newest update I think, it was about 3 weeks ago. Do you guys think this was just an OS glitch? I hope it is as this macbook is so new!

2. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

did you by any chance, spilled liquid on it? most of the time the problem is due to spillage, the rest it's just a bad MB(motherboard). I would suggest to take it to apple for them to check since you mentioned you just bought it two months ago.

3. cyber16 macrumors 6502

The USB keyboard controller AND the USB Trackpad controller is monted on the underside of the trackpad, you will find a small pcb. Both are controlled from that. There is only one very narrow ribbon cable that comes from that to the logic board. Sounds like a little liquid was spilled on/around the trackpad.
    There is a very small gap around the edges of the trackpad the liquid can get into.
    REPLACE the tackpad, that will include the attached pcb.

Make sure you replace with the SAME model year part as the keyboard key layout logic is also stored on the pcb.

If its only two months old, bring it to apple, they just may take care of it for free. If they see a bunch of liquid corrosion, they will void warranty and also flag that serial number within their database.

The trackpad can be purchased via eBay