MacBook Air or MacBook Pro 13in or any better ideas you may have?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iamnickhalden, Nov 4, 2014.

1. iamnickhalden, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

iamnickhalden macrumors newbie

iamnickhalden

Hello there :apple:folks,

First, I would like to thank you all in advance for your suggestions and inputs here.

I recently purchased the new iMac 5K. Love it!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
    Processor: 4.0 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Yet, I need some computer advice. Say what? I am 29 years old and going back to college to complete my bachelors. Go Bearcats! My responsibilities start and end with me. With that said, and the machine I described above as my main computer, what would be your suggestion for a portable computer?

This unit will mainly be used to take notes, and complete schoolwork assignments while on the go. I work full-time therefore every minute counts during that subway ride. I will be majoring in Finance/Accounting with plans to take some creative classes as electives, photography or video editing for example. I have about 2 years left until graduation and expect no more from this purchase.

I would prefer laptops instead of tablets as suggestions.

Dilemma: My fund is in the form of Gift Cards locked on my Amazon account (long story.)

So far:
    1. On Amazon, the MacBook Air is only available in 4GB RAM configurations. Unfortunately, a Brand New Sealed unit with 8GB RAM was not available. I searched for nearly a month to no avail. Will the MacBook Air operate fast enough with only 4GB of RAM while running Outlook, Word, Spotify or iTunes and Chrome at the same time?

2. MacBook Pro13 Retina comes with 8GB but it is heavier, less battery life and darn right not as appealing as the MacBook Air. Retina! I am worried that MacBook Pro will be too much for my needs to justify the extra weight and most importantly the added cost.

3. Any and all of your suggestions and input regarding my thoughts above.

Thank you for reading this, and I am looking forward to your intelligent and darn right awesome suggestions.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Tough Call

The retina is a better laptop in many ways, connectivity-HDMI output and 2 thunderbolt ports very useful, Better CPU, Better GPU. Mainly however its the screen they are brilliant and much better in that small form factor especially for text, also the scalabilty of the screen may do wonders for you in excel for a business course. As you already have the retina imac I think you'll find the air fairly unbearable screen wise.

However if all you want is battery life the air can't be beat.

Don't warry about weight 1/2 pound is nothing in a bag, and the footprint is actually smaller on the pro.

A 2013 refurb rMBP will be about the same cost as an upgraded macbook air with extra RAM.

3. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

The 13" rMBP is only slightly heavier than a 13" MBA. The smaller footprint negates that. To me, with the greater power and vastly superior screen, it's a no-brainer. I always recommend the 13" rMBP.

4. iamnickhalden thread starter macrumors newbie

iamnickhalden

Thanks

I have not had the chance to reply but I have read your message. Thank you. After some research on Amazon for rMBP new and refurb, I am starting to believe this could be the best route. I also recently visited the Apple Store in Aventura, FL. The weight is truly negligible. Thank you again and God Bless!:)