MacBook Air randomly powering off. Wont stay on longer than a few minutes.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JohnWayne2010, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JohnWayne2010 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Air late 2012 model.

Every time I try to Reinstall OSX or try to run any diagnostics. It wont stay on long enough to finish anything. Some times it wont come on when you press the power key. I just does the Apple chime and then it could be 5 seconds or 2 mins but it always powers off.

I called Apple because the SSD was recalled for that year and the symptoms of a failing hard drive is random rebooting or powering off. So apple said they would fix it for free.

I am not near an apple store so I took it to an Apple licensed Technician to get the new SSD. I got a call a few days later saying that the SSD was fine but I need a new Logic Board. He said it was the most expensive part of the laptop and that sounded very convenient for him that I need the most expensive part, about $478.00.

I would like to know the symptoms of a Failing Logic Board and the SSD
    I can never get a straight answer from reading Apples forums.

This laptop was 1300.00 new and I had to buy it from my Ex again for 200.00 when she couldn't fix it. So im tired of putting money in a laptop that cant even run games or hold my entire iTunes Library lol.

If anyone has had this same problem let me know.
    I'm afraid that its an easy fix and they are just trying to get more money.

2. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

John,

There can be many symptoms to a failing logic board, some of which you mentioned. I would recommend a second opinion, generally Apple, but you mentioned your not near one. Road trip?

If you're decent with a screwdriver, have you considered doing the work yourself? Try welovemacs.com for an Apple part number to the logic board, and them try google/eBay for a replacement. Sometimes a parts laptop that has only screen damage can be had for cheap. You can use logic board, then sell other parts to try and balance your costs. Something to consider.