Macbook Air spoilt for almost 5 months. Any chance Apple can extend my warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cathyy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Okay so, I first sent in my Macbook Air on the 22nd of March, almost 5 months ago. Its been having this issue where it intermittently shuts down by itself. To cut the story short, I sent it in 4 times. Twice the motherboard was replaced. Two other times they told me they couldn't find anything wrong. Sent it in the 5th time, and they took 2 weeks to decide to swap the motherboard for the 3rd time.

Now they just called me yesterday and told me that my Mac is ready for pickup. The problem is that my warranty ends tomorrow. Is it possible for Apple to extend my Applecare warranty? I mean for f*cks sake I've barely been able to use my Mac for the last 5 months. And what if it dies again for the 6th time? (which I'm positive it will)

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Anyone can provide any advice? Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You should press for a a replacement and not a fix

3. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried to over the phone and they told me to get a 3rd repair first before they could start discussing any replacement options. I do recall reading posts where people said that Apple only replaces it after 3 major hardware component failures, so I didn't press harder at that point.

4. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

You didn't say what model MacBook Air, so I'm not sure: Have you got AppleCare? Is that what's expiring? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. Apple's likely to play ball.

If this is your standard warranty still, you might want to see if you can still get AppleCare when you pick up your Mac.

5. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

2013 Macbook Air. Thing is I was hoping to sell it off before the warranty expires so it can fetch a higher value. Now I'm not sure what I should do with this Mac anymore.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would be assertive about getting a replacement. You have a good argument considering the amount of time it has been in for repairs and the repairs that have been done to it. Surprises me that Apple has not already done this. It probably would have been cheaper for them to do.

Express your concerns when you go to pick it up and that you warranty is expiring. That it has you very concerned that the problem may still exist and that this computer may never be right. Let them know you paid for a MBA that you could use, not one that is in for repairs all the time.

Bring any documentation along with you to back up your statements. If you are strait forward with them, you may get a replacement. If your story holds true, you are certainly entitled.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm not sure where you're located, but in the US a repair from Apple comes with a 90 day warranty. So if you continue to have this issue within 90 days, it should still be covered even though AppleCare has expired.