MacBook Air3,1: Restoring OS X and Merging Free Space for Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryalho, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ryalho macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have Lucid Lynx on my MacBook Air3,1 and I have 20gb on that partition. I wish to merge more free space to that partition but I have no free space! I hate OS X and I would like to restore it to its factory defaults to give myself some free space.

Here's my question: Will restoring OS X only affect the Mac partition? Also, how do I merge this free space to the ubuntu 20gb partition? Oh and how do I restore it? through the osx usb or through the system?

Thanks!

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Why is your OS X partition full? Too many programs and too many documents? You can do a clean restore OS X to its partition but that will eliminate your programs and data-- is that what you want?

I've used Ubuntu for years and am amazed that someone would prefer it to OS X, but hey, that's life.

Back up both partitions before you do anything.

Oh: you might want to consider an external FireWire drive such as the handy, bus-powered Western Digital units. (I'm assuming your laptop has a FireWire port...) Plenty of space that way.

3. ryalho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response!

Remember, I have only 128gb of ssd space on this laptop. the Mac HD takes up 98gigs of this space. I want this laptop to be a dedicated ubuntu system with more than 20gigs on its partition.

I'm not as familiar with osx compared to Ubuntu/Linux Mint/PC and so I don't have a clear understanding as to how to restore the mac partition (and just that partition) to factory defaults. I don't care about any of the software installed on the mac partition which means I just want to leave say 12 gigs behind for osx so that it's operable as well as allow me to run rEFIT.

By the way, OSX is a simple OS that doesn't present me with functionality that Ubuntu already supports out of the box. We both use computers and we are probably both very good at using them but we just play on different fields.

4. ryalho thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so the mac partition has been restored. Now I need to move that free space to the Ubuntu partition. How should I go about doing this?