Macbook airport can connect at cafe, but not to any other open networks!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by morgonzo, Oct 13, 2008.

1. morgonzo macrumors newbie

i'm sure that everyone is very tired of hearing about this prob - lord knows i've been reading about it for months with no end in sight. i own a macbook core duo, and somewhere between the 10.4.10 update and the purchase of my blackberry i slowly started losing the ability to connect to any unsecure / open wireless networks that i previously had no problems with. i can, however, connect at the cafe i'm sitting in right now. this is really frustrating and is becoming increasingly so. my flatmate can connect to a variety of our neighbors routers, and where i used to be able to i now cannot. please help!

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It's probably a faulty AirPort card... I'd take it in for service. It's definitely something the Apple service personnel should be able to help you with, if it's still under warranty.

3. morgonzo thread starter macrumors newbie

but how is it that i can connect at any cafe or public wifi but cannot connect to any other open network?? this is really baffling me.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I don't know what's wrong with it specifically, but something tells me that it needs exchanging. It doesn't look like anything you could fix yourself, I'd take it in and see what the service guys have to say about it.

How many hotspots have you got saved in memory? Try deleting all of those and then try connecting to one wifi network again. It's a shot in the dark, but hey.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry, all tech questions are now closed due to the Notebook coverage show from Apple. :D

6. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu